My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Castor Freak
2,167 Posts
Nice video!

I know you want to keep your mower as original as can be, but can I suggest you use a good 2-stroke oil for your mower instead of SAE 30? I know that when this mower was made, there was no such thing as 2-stroke oil and SAE 30 was requested, but wouldn't you feel better knowing that using a good brand 2-stroke oil will make your mower's engine last longer, keep the ports and muffler cleaner with less carbon and smoke less? I don't mean to pry at you about this but for a mower that nice, I myself would feel better using a good grade dino 2-stroke oil in it. Again, sorry if I sound bossy about this.

·
Premium Member
7,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Nice video!

I know you want to keep your mower as original as can be, but can I suggest you use a good 2-stroke oil for your mower instead of SAE 30? I know that when this mower was made, there was no such thing as 2-stroke oil and SAE 30 was requested, but wouldn't you feel better knowing that using a good brand 2-stroke oil will make your mower's engine last longer, keep the ports and muffler cleaner with less carbon and smoke less? I don't mean to pry at you about this but for a mower that nice, I myself would feel better using a good grade dino 2-stroke oil in it. Again, sorry if I sound bossy about this.
Hey no problem, I understand. I've thought about it before, but just feel more comfortable using what the manual recommends and it's also just kind of a fun nostalgic thing to "do it the way they did it in the olden days" type of thing I guess. I know the exhaust ports, exhaust manifold and muffler etc need to be decarbonized more often because of it, but it's not really something I mind doing and just enjoy taking care of it and using the mower how it was done when it was new. :fing32:

·
Castor Freak
2,167 Posts
Sounds good to me, I understand the nostalgia behind it all and considering you don't mind decarboning the muffler and ports more often, then you should be fine. Also considering this mower ran on SAE 30 since it's birth and probably has since who knows when and it still works that good, you should be ok for many years to come. I'm just glad to hear your going to keep that beauty going and that you enjoy working on, and using it.:thThumbsU

·
2 stroke enthusiast
6,568 Posts
It's not only carbon that 30 weight leaves behind, but also nice and hard, gritty ash that will destroy the piston and cylinder especially non-chrome lined. I would HIGHLY recommend ditching the 30w and using a high quality 2 stroke oil mixed @ 32:1.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts