My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well here she is, #1206, coming off the trailer under her own steam, and a little later with me wondering why the d***@ thing wont start this time. The new fuel tank went in Ok and seemed to solve most but not all the fuel problems. Had another interlude of not starting, finally nailed that down to a fried old lead from switch to starter and when we replaced that with a new lead- she starts and runs. Was all set to join Eddie Hortons thread today and tell you about that, but you-all figured it out first.

Have successfully bushogged an acre or so of blackberries and one bumble bee nest. These old 9Ns dont accelerate worth a **** even in 3rd gear but I only got stung once!

The old girl has one remaining trick- appears to pull an airlock and starve for fuel after half an hour or so, when shes got nice and hot. I just pull the fuel line off the carb and shake or sometimes(carefully) suck to get gas flowing and off she goes again. The whole fuel supply from tank, through tank filter,sight glass, in-line filter to the carb is new and clean-??
Well if thats as bad as it gets- i can live with it and i am old enough ime gonna die before the gas gives me lip cancer. But anyone got any ideas on fuel flow?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,674 Posts
I had the same type of problem on my 850 Saturday and it turned out to be the fuel cap not venting and creating a vacuum in the tank, loosen the cap and started right up. Now to find a GOOD cap, all that are available locally are junk just like is on it now.

·
Registered
3,268 Posts
There is a bubble on the top of the gas tank will a hole in it for venting. I have seen tanks cleaned and painted for reinstallation have had this hole painted shut. Did you paint your new tank?
Nice to see an old '39 sporting the smooth hubs. But those front car wheels???
Welcome to the forum and Good luck with the new (old)tractor.

Kirk

·
Registered
9 Posts
Sounds like a vapor lock of some kind if it takes half an hour to happen. I tell you, it's a good feeling to work on one these old pieces of iron with your own two hands and get them running right. I had a blast bush hogging this past weekend. Luckily, no bees or yellow jackets this time.

·
Premium Member
5,674 Posts
That vent hole in the dome has been know to rust up, that is why most folks go to the vented gas cap and depending on how hard you are working it 30 minutes is about right for it to create enough vacuum in the tank to stop the fuel flow. Simple way to find out is when it does it again loosen the gas cap.

·
Registered
508 Posts
That vent hole in the dome has been know to rust up, that is why most folks go to the vented gas cap and depending on how hard you are working it 30 minutes is about right for it to create enough vacuum in the tank to stop the fuel flow. Simple way to find out is when it does it again loosen the gas cap.

And when you loosen it if sounds like you just opened a coke. That's your problem
Good luck

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
hey guys,
Thanks to all for ideas. Its not the fuel tank vent- its a brand new after market fuel tank and when i got it i questioned the breather hole in the dome and you-all reassured me this was correct. and just in case- i tried cracking the gas cap- no difference- and no coke fizz either- its not that.

I am wondering if its the fuel filter. It came with an 'original' glass tube, wire mesh in-line filter that was completely crudded up, so i replaced it with a cheapo paper element lawn-mower filter when i was having all the fuel tank problems, just to keep crud out of the carb. (Yeah, yeah- i know- lawn mower filter!- ime not a purist guys- function, function, function and a filter is to keep small children and low flying birds out of the works -right?)- but i still have the old one, and now i have clean gas flowing from the tank, ill clean up that old mesh and put it back in, or just do without as Ken suggested.

Oh, and sorry for the car wheels in front- it came that way and they work and ill replace them one of these days- its only money right?

Thanks to all for helpful support- ill report back.

·
Registered
403 Posts
hey guys,
Thanks to all for ideas. Its not the fuel tank vent- its a brand new after market fuel tank and when i got it i questioned the breather hole in the dome and you-all reassured me this was correct. and just in case- i tried cracking the gas cap- no difference- and no coke fizz either- its not that.

I am wondering if its the fuel filter. It came with an 'original' glass tube, wire mesh in-line filter that was completely crudded up, so i replaced it with a cheapo paper element lawn-mower filter when i was having all the fuel tank problems, just to keep crud out of the carb. (Yeah, yeah- i know- lawn mower filter!- ime not a purist guys- function, function, function and a filter is to keep small children and low flying birds out of the works -right?)- but i still have the old one, and now i have clean gas flowing from the tank, ill clean up that old mesh and put it back in, or just do without as Ken suggested.

Oh, and sorry for the car wheels in front- it came that way and they work and ill replace them one of these days- its only money right?

Thanks to all for helpful support- ill report back.
Remove the in-line filter and I think the problem will be gone, the filter can't flow the volume of gas a 4 cylinder engine needs.

·
Premium Member
5,674 Posts
Go get a 1/4" steel brake line of the proper length and replace the whole thing from the sediment bowl to the carb. Make sure you 3 screens are clean and see what that does for you.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
JohnW
Hmm- yes, that is the only part of the fuel delivery system that has not been renewed and is an old metal line (looks like copper?) with flange fitting to the sediment bowl. If it is as filled with gunk as the original tank and filters it may be occuding flow as well- Thanks ill add to the list.
Jim

1 - 15 of 15 Posts