My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
...knows the muffin man.
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought a new sector gear from the PartsDirect website. (love that site) The old one had a broken tooth (muscled it too much when it began to freeze up).

So I tore into it tonight after work. The old Sector gear came off easy enough. I then took the tie rod ends and disconnected them from the front wheels... left wheel... free and moved... right wheel... free and moved.

Got up underneath and found the "Bellcrank" (number 25 on http://www.searspartsdirect.com/partsdirect/getSubComp.pd?modelNumber=917255916&productCategoryId=1509200&brandId=0247&modelName=GT-18-TWIN-GARDEN-TRACTOR&diagramPageId=00004&componentDescription=STEERING&documentId=00048813&backToLink=Return to Sub Components list) frozen up.

I pulled it off, but alas, it's a discontinued part. I've tried heating this one and haven't been able to break it free yet.

Anyone have one of these sitting around or some helpful hints for breaking it free? It certainly doesn't look overly rusted. One of the weirder things I've experienced on a garden tractor.

But the old girl is down and it's killing me!

·
15,000 +posts!
20,428 Posts
If it has no nylon bushings to melt I'd use heat and penetrant and some hammer taps to free it..if you can grab it with a pipe wrench or channel locks and try rotating it ,that will help free it up..

I've had old grease harden up so stiff it was like cement after it sat decades on parts like these on old cars, and equipment..usually once you get them hot enough it'll soften up..I usually find the shafts are deeply pitted with rust inside where you cant see,even if the external appearances look remarkably rust free,water gets trapped in there and does its evil deeds..

·
...knows the muffin man.
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No nylon bushings... I tried the heat... but all I have is one of the Burnz O Matic's and I don't think I am getting it hot enough.

arrrrrgggghhhhh.

·
15,000 +posts!
20,428 Posts
Propane torch is better than nothing,might take longer to get it hot with one but it should eventually free up if you keep heating and spraying it with penetrant and trying to move it..

If you can post a photo ,I may have that part,I saved a bunch of steering parts off various Craftsman tractors over the years--they never seem to be the ones I need when I get a tractor with screwed steering though!..:(

·
...knows the muffin man.
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
15,000 +posts!
20,428 Posts
Nope,I dont have one that looks like that one either...I'm beginning to wonder if all the tractors I parted out were one of a kind or something!..none of the parts FIT anything !.

Looks like your on the right track,I'd heat that sucker up and keep dousing it with oil or liquid wrench..I assume the part with the two holes is whats stuck??..if so I'd whack it back and forth whlie trying to turn it with pliers or a pipe wrench..a cheater pipe on a pipe wrench might break it free,but be careful not to just break it!..

·
...knows the muffin man.
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I used a BIG pipe wrench and a big hammer to no avail.

BUT... I did find one on through a guy on Ebay for $16.00 shipped to me... so the old girl will be back up and running soon.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts