My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Banned
587 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good News: New 54" deck on it's way.

The JD dealer came yesterday to pickup the 345 so they could replace the PTO clutch assembly... Yes!, that too in the deal.
I will also get new belts...both primary and secondary. New blade spindles heads/sheaves.
I get to keep my "wonderful" Stens blades, and the "Yellow" ($100.00) guage wheels. And a line of dealer credit of $300.00. The $300.00 can only be used for parts, accesories...Cannot be applied to a new JD series tractor. Now we know they won't lose any money there, being it will be applied to parts, etc.

The factory deck product manager/engineer said less than 450 of the 48" and 54" decks had the bracket wrong. The bracket is welded on the deck correctly, it's the bracket itself that was made wrong. The hole for the jack sheave pulley assembly shaft was stamped 3/16" off where it was suppose to be. There was a malfunction NC machine that was the cause. This allowed the top pulley to angle 7/8" from vertical, and this contributed to the primary belt to run loose, hot, and separate.

So, John Deere did come through here and make the deck belt problem a lot better feelings I have against the dealer and John Deere.

·
Enginerd - DieselDork
777 Posts
Glad to see JD "make this right." It really was a failure at almost every level of the company: manufacturing, Quality, service.

A new deck after 11 years is decent service. I say "decent" because "good" or "excellent" service would have dug deeper into the problem after the 2nd thrown belt.

Congrats.

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
I would probably say good... understanding it took them 11 years to come through, but they are going take care of you. Glad to here everything worked out!!

·
The voice of reason !
2,720 Posts
Glad to see JD "make this right." It really was a failure at almost every level of the company: manufacturing, Quality, service.

A new deck after 11 years is decent service. I say "decent" because "good" or "excellent" service would have dug deeper into the problem after the 2nd thrown belt.

Congrats.
Well said :fing32:.

Glad to see they came thru, but makes me wonder if JD knew there was a problem (it's obvious they did) and chose to ignore it until a consumer complained (which is what a silent recall is), or it just took them many years to catch it ?

Either way it looks bad on them ! JMHO

·
Banned
587 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Could have saved myself many hours of aggravation and money if I knew what was causing the primary belt to get hot, slip, and separate on the deck. Having the shorter distance...from PTO and deck pulley was the culprit, I could have use a shorter belt...say a 62" O.D. The factory is a 1/2" x 63.3" O.D.

Facts: There were two TB (technical bulletins) sent out on this in February and April 1999. I would guess these TB's are now collecting dust stuck back in some old binder in a rusty desk drawer.

·
Registered
901 Posts
Facts: There were two TB (technical bulletins) sent out on this in February and April 1999. I would guess these TB's are now collecting dust stuck back in some old binder in a rusty desk drawer.[/QUOTE]

Looks like John Deere caught it from the beginning, about the time you bought it. It was the Dealer who missed it! Sorry to hear it took 11 years.

·
Super Moderator
32,650 Posts
Several issues were seen on this post! Dealer was unresponsive to a customer for a long time! But when presented overwhelming evidence by the owner the dealer finally did contact the company; the "company" did do things right for the customer! Also FD611V did all the right things to include presenting it with all the necessary logic/evidence to "force" the local dealer to investigate more thoroughly! I'm sure you put up with a ton of aggrivation while this was happening but the key is don't give up till you've fully run the course! Congratulations for "sticking" to your guns and ending up with a result that may be late, but is a satisfactory solution to the problem!

·
the "AWOL member"
4,954 Posts
Glad to hear they are taking care of you!:thThumbsU

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
Excellent! As I've said before, I expected JD to handle it properly.

The issue really falls with the dealer here. They did not investigate this as they should, eventhough JD had published the information to correct the problem. JD has a really easy electronic system to find this stuff - if they looked. JD likely couldn't do a formal "recall" as decks get swapped around under different tractors. They probably had to handle them as they arose - which would have certainly been inside the warranty period for most customers. That's what warranty is for - defects in materials and/or workmanship.

And a lot has to go to the OP here, as he was incredibly patient - to a fault. If he had screamed a bit louder early on, this could have been caught then too. But, ultimately falls to the dealer for not following through.

Enjoy your new mower deck!

·
Premium Member
9,751 Posts
Several issues were seen on this post! Dealer was unresponsive to a customer for a long time! But when presented overwhelming evidence by the owner the dealer finally did contact the company; the "company" did do things right for the customer! Also FD611V did all the right things to include presenting it with all the necessary logic/evidence to "force" the local dealer to investigate more thoroughly! I'm sure you put up with a ton of aggrivation while this was happening but the key is don't give up till you've fully run the course! Congratulations for "sticking" to your guns and ending up with a result that may be late, but is a satisfactory solution to the problem!
:ditto:

·
The voice of reason !
2,720 Posts
I stand corrected about JD's lack of response to this problem it seems it was the dealer who dropped the ball, that said kudos to JD for stepping up. :fing32:

Had FD611V said this in his first post I would have commended JD from the start.

Now that JD knows how this dealer is operating they may keep a closer eye on them, the last thing any company needs now is a bad image.

·
Has anyone seen ChimChim?
6,553 Posts
Well FD......

Now you can sell the 2000 series, because that 345 is gonna be like a brandy new machine, and this time it will even work right! :)

Sorry it took 11 years, but I am glad that you are finally squared away with this issue!

·
Registered
317 Posts
Glad everything worked out just to bad it took so long. Another question, since the belt was pulling at such an angle I'm assuming this is what caused all of the PTO failures?

·
Banned
587 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well FD......

Now you can sell the 2000 series, because that 345 is gonna be like a brandy new machine, and this time it will even work right! :)

Sorry it took 11 years, but I am glad that you are finally squared away with this issue!
Brett, I don't see selling the JD 2320. That is one fine mowing dude, and besides, the drive-on deck is a back saver, and a work horse for all that may be looking at one. I will part with the 345 when the opportunity strikes.

·
Banned
587 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Glad everything worked out just to bad it took so long. Another question, since the belt was pulling at such an angle I'm assuming this is what caused all of the PTO failures?[/QUOTE

61woody, I had the dealer (owner) on such a position on why he didn't read the TB's, and when I suggested the PTO clutch may be causing some of the problems, he agreed to replace the PTO also.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts