My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Acquired a GT5000 27HP B&S a few years back, it's tunes, cleaned and so on. Every once in a while for no reason the motor will go up and down as if it was going to run out of gas then it's ok for days or a week or more.
I did notice other then when I first start it up there's never any gas in the gas filter you will occasionally see some vapor but that's it. Any thoughts?

·
Retired Super Moderator - Deceased September 2015
26,679 Posts
maybe the govenor? Not unusual not to see much gas in a filter on a tractor. Smarter guys will be along:thThumbsU

·
Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
To add to this when it does this if I pull the choke out just a little maybe 1/4" it runs fine then i can slowly push it back in. Forgot about that.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Sounds like you're having a fuel delivery problem to me. But, it's intermittent. I'd replace fuel filter and check the tank for gunk. I had a tractor that did the same thing except it was constant. Removed carb, cleaned, same problem! Ran pretty good with the choke about half out. Anyway, I used the little funnel/fuel line trick (by-passing the tank) had a buddy pour gas in the funnel while I started it. Ran perfectly, no more wandering. Found the fuel filter and tank fuel screen plugged up somewhat.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Water is my guess. It bogs a bit until it gets though the system. Plastic fuel cans in areas where there are 20 degree temperature shifts will get condensation running rampant in your fuel jugs. I've had a lot of problems with that with the high humidity this summer. It's a big problem with plastic fuel tanks in small engines left outside too. Happens with metal fuel tanks/jugs too but it's not usually as bad.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Condensation? What's that? We don't get moisture in the Southwestern states... much! lol Good thought though...he'd find out pretty quick by by-passing the tank and fuel filter.

Water is my guess. It bogs a bit until it gets though the system. Plastic fuel cans in areas where there are 20 degree temperature shifts will get condensation running rampant in your fuel jugs. I've had a lot of problems with that with the high humidity this summer. It's a big problem with plastic fuel tanks in small engines left outside too. Happens with metal fuel tanks/jugs too but it's not usually as bad.

·
Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hey Curly69...you ever find the cause of the surging??:bump9:
No not yet. Took the carb apart but it back together and it does the same thing. I do have a question for the more knowing here though.
It seems the intake manifold is warped not sitting flat against the engine and the orange O rings are flat. It's only plastic and kind of cheesy at that. I'm going to hunt down some new o-rings or fill the groove on the plastic manifold with some high temp. silicon and flip these over.

·
Registered
269 Posts
I had the same problem last year until I rebuilt the carburator. There is a brass needle valve that controls the amount of fuel into the manifold. The brass needle was sticking. The rebuild kit that I bought had a plastic one. Since then, no problems.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts