My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Bring on old man winter.
670 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tonight I finally got The Beast ready for some snow action. This is the first time mounting the cab on my own. The first time, the PO did it for me. Learned a couple things in the process. 1. Make sure everything is in the right place before tightening alll the bolts down. There were a couple pieces of rubber weather stripping on the bottom that had shifted out of place when I set it down. 2. When using a pry bar to lift the cab up to fix previously mentioned weather stripping, don't stick fingers under cab. No harm done this time but I was so close to losing a finger when the bar slipped. 3. Get the heater hose quick connectors already, would ya? A bit on the messy side. My heater core is in the top of the cab so there is a bit of gravity pressure working against me. Lost a bunch of coolant. I suppose that I will have to find a way to bleed the air out of the line also.
As of right now, I'm ready for it to snow. I want to do a few modifications. Increase chute rotation and add a 12v outlet on the outside of the cab for a beacon light. I have to use the magnetic style beacon otherwise it won't fit in the garage door. I also would like to find some brighter lights for the cab work lights. They really aren't very bright at all.
Anyway, it was after dark so I only took one pic. Sorry it's not a very good one. I will post some more later.

Attachments

·
Murph
1,930 Posts
Where's the like button?

·
Registered
2,947 Posts
Looks good so far. Please post more pics when you can. What lights does it currently have (that you feel are not doing the job)? Maybe a set of LEDs with flasher controller would do the job without adding to the height of the cab.

:thanku:

·
USMC
19,146 Posts
Looking forward to some more pics of it. Do you have any video of you doing the finger dance:biglaugh::biglaugh:

·
3K & Yet So Little to Say
3,341 Posts
Thanks Wooly, I really like all the glass on that cab!:fing32:

·
Premium Member
954 Posts
Is that pic from a scene of the Twilight Zone? Nice . . . .

·
Bring on old man winter.
670 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks guys. I was thinking I should have a fog machine for a more dramatic effect but that might have been a little over the top.:ROF
Anyway, I'm heading outside to see what kind of mischief I can get into before the wife catches me. Hopefully return with some more pics. Thanks, AL

·
Bring on old man winter.
670 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well, she caught me. Evidently I look silly driving a snow beast around the yard with no snow:dunno: I said that's why I pulled the cart around. It gives the illusion that I might be doing something productive. It will be nice when the real "work" arrives and I don't have to pretend quite as much.

What lights does it currently have (that you feel are not doing the job)? Maybe a set of LEDs with flasher controller would do the job without adding to the height of the cab.
POENY, the cab lights are 1156 bulbs with a metal reflector. They don't really hold up in comparison to the tractor headlights, which BTW, I just discovered were upgraded to halogens by the PO. It would be nice to get a direct replacement for the 1156 bulbs.
As far as the LED flashers, they are on the wish list but I don't think they are going to pass through the budget committee this year. I will have to make do with the mag mount flasher for now.

So, here's a few more pics of The Beast driving around the yard screwing off, just cause we can.

Attachments

·
Registered
305 Posts
Well, she caught me. Evidently I look silly driving a snow beast around the yard with no snow:dunno:
That's a matter of opinion!
I said that's why I pulled the cart around. It gives the illusion that I might be doing something productive.
Now you're speaking my language!

Looking good Wooly. I'm incredibly jealous to say the least...

·
Super Moderator
33,752 Posts
I really like the design on that cab! It goes back behind the fenders to give you good room for the seat!

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
The Wooly Beast is back out ready to wage battle with whatever a long cold winter can throw at it! Fantastic looking Beast at that! It's all in the choice of words to the wife, no honey I'm making my new plan and mapping the areas where I want to put the snow. Making sure I know where all of your flowers are so I don't grind any up or bury them, everyone has to build a mental map ya know.

Thanks for the Great pics while mapping out the navigation route through the snow. :trink39::trink39::trink39:

·
Registered
3,953 Posts
lose the tractor headlights and put two 55 watters on the roof of the cab...

mine lights up the driveway like stadium lights and with the tractor headlights turned off there is more than enough amperage... and the tractor headlights are still there if needed...

I made my chute rotate 270 degrees, it was a BIG help! Don't need it all the time but nice to know your not restricted to the 180!

tractor looks GREAT btw!

that might be the best looking cab I have seen to date! never saw that model b4, nice!

·
Registered
2,947 Posts
Well, she caught me. Evidently I look silly driving a snow beast around the yard with no snow:dunno: I said that's why I pulled the cart around. It gives the illusion that I might be doing something productive. It will be nice when the real "work" arrives and I don't have to pretend quite as much.

POENY, the cab lights are 1156 bulbs with a metal reflector. They don't really hold up in comparison to the tractor headlights, which BTW, I just discovered were upgraded to halogens by the PO. It would be nice to get a direct replacement for the 1156 bulbs.
As far as the LED flashers, they are on the wish list but I don't think they are going to pass through the budget committee this year. I will have to make do with the mag mount flasher for now.

So, here's a few more pics of The Beast driving around the yard screwing off, just cause we can.
You can improve it some. http://www.ipdusa.com/products/5906/p796-halogen-bulb-1156-type from http://www.mytractorforum.com/showthread.php?t=212001

and

Direct replacement best choice (well document here at MTF) is 35watts halogen P796 bulb.

Here's the test result Here
And the discussion about it Here :thThumbsU
from http://www.mytractorforum.com/showthread.php?t=211509&p=1903407

·
3K & Yet So Little to Say
3,341 Posts
I really like the design on that cab! It goes back behind the fenders to give you good room for the seat!
I was thinking the same thing! :thanku: for the extra pics:fing32:

·
Registered
716 Posts
Looks good Wooly. You upgraded your charging system so you can buy inexpensive 55w lamps with no problems. I am surprised you lost coolant with your quick connects. I mounted my cab yesterday and and did not loose a drop of coolant.

·
Bring on old man winter.
670 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Looks good Wooly. You upgraded your charging system so you can buy inexpensive 55w lamps with no problems. I am surprised you lost coolant with your quick connects. I mounted my cab yesterday and and did not loose a drop of coolant.
Thanks Tom. The problem I'm having with the quick connects is that they are still pending budget committee approval. After my little fiasco the other day,:banghead3 they might get moved to the top of the agenda. It would be nice to only have to bleed the air out of the lines once.

I think I might try the P796 halogen upgrade and see how that works. If it isn't a significant amount of improvement, I can always switch out the lights for some 55 watters.

Thanks again everyone. I can't express how much I appreciate the positive feedback. Or any feedback for that matter. The wife just rolls her eyes when I start talking "tractor nerd" stuff.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts