My Tractor Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4,812 Posts
At 16, I bought my sister's used car that was a 2 door 1963 Ford Fairlane. It had a 221 ci V8 and "three on the tree". I might be mistaken, but believe that the 221 was a thicker walled casting that preceded the thin wall castings used in the 260, 289, and the 302 versions of the same block design. Maybe we have some Ford wrenchers who can confirm that.

·
Registered
2,726 Posts
My buddy bought a 62 Fairlane similarly equipped. The engine was pretty much at the end of its useful life so he had a shop drop a 289 in it. The starter wouldn't engage when they tried to fire it up, they had used the 221 flywheel, which was smaller, so the shop ate that. With a 4barrel and homemade dual exhaust the car was fast

·
Registered
4,812 Posts
Went the same route with my '63, Junkyard 289 with a 4 speed top loader. Rear end was a miserable little thing though. This would have been in 1967 or so and that Fairlane already had rusted rear wheel fender lips. Was a great car while I had it, but never was a performer. Coming from a 64 2 door Falcon wagon that was a local drug store's delivery car that got its tie rod broken when a drive ran it over a bunch of parking blocks. It came with a six and a 2 speed auto, and made that Fairlane seem like a dream. Although the 289 and the 4 speed top loader went into the falcon first, again the rear end was no match. Buddies dubbed it the dragon wagon, but it hauled us where we wanted to go. So I went from a non running 52 Sunliner, to a 64 Falcon wagon, to a 63 Fairlane and on to a 68 Mustang GT Coup, 390 4 speed. (Yes there was such a thing). That Mustang was a sleeper and was a common cruiser on Woodward back in the day. Fun fun fun.

·
Parts collector
88 Dodge Snowfiter, 93 Dodge diesel, 02 Durango, 01 Electra, 02 Sportster, 2000 Dodge diesel 5 speed
5,435 Posts
I'm surprised they didn't say anything about the Chrysler 273HP engines.

·
Registered
4,812 Posts
I think it was Studebaker who had their own line of V8s among which was a non Ford based 289 CI that came from their own tooling.

Reactions: mopar65pa
1 - 7 of 7 Posts