My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7,945 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this isn't strictly a Gravely 2 wheel, but, it takes Gravely attachments!! So please don't move the post!! :crybaby:

D7K_09881024x609.jpg

Anybody ever have one of these?? I was told it was designed by ex-Gravely engineers and built in West Virginia.

I bought 2 from a dealer. The 8hp to use, which I did. The 12hp (pictured) was bought for the engine in case my GT ever needed a new engine.

D7K_09961024x624.jpg

So the 12hp is basically NOS!! Less than 2 hours engine time!!

D7K_09871024x659.jpg

I still have the 8hp, but it would need some serious engine work.

If some collector has to have it, that might be a better fate than repowering my GT.

I even got a UFT rotary plow with the two tractors!! I use it every year.

·
Gravely bug bit.
8,733 Posts
Whereabouts in SW VA are you? Yes they were built by them. In between the Gravelys and the UFT Mountaineers you have the Dean Harper prototypes. The lineage is a straight line.That is why the Mountaineers can use the same Gravely attachments.

·
Registered
7,945 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Whereabouts in SW VA are you? Yes they were built by them. In between the Gravelys and the UFT Mountaineers you have the Dean Harper prototypes. The lineage is a straight line.That is why the Mountaineers can use the same Gravely attachments.
Near Roanoke

·
Premium Member
1,307 Posts
Those are neat machines, and fairly rare, I think. I wouldn't strip the engine from one as they would be better to restore than part out. I actually have a Mountaineer scoop that I use on my Gravely, and may even have a Mountaineer brochure hiding somewhere. How do you like using it? I've been interested in hearing how well they work and what features people like better/worse than Gravelys.

·
Premium Member
8,842 Posts
The 12hp (pictured) was bought for the engine in case my GT ever needed a new engine.
You may be disappointed. The end of the crank is likely different than you may expect. Gravely crankshafts are different than most and I assume the Mountaineer is no different. I did bin on a Mountaineer at a local auction several months ago but it went for more than what I was willing to pay.

·
Registered
7,945 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You may be disappointed. The end of the crank is likely different than you may expect. Gravely crankshafts are different than most and I assume the Mountaineer is no different. I did bin on a Mountaineer at a local auction several months ago but it went for more than what I was willing to pay.
What did it sell for, if I might ask??

·
Premium Member
8,842 Posts
What did it sell for, if I might ask??
It went for about $150.00 if I recall correctly and there were 3 people bidding on it. I was looking for a machine that I could use, not put into a museum.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts