My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I currently have a zero turn mower for my own yard, and I am considering offering to cut the grass for a property about 1.5 miles away. I own a truck but the mower is to big for the bed and I do not own a trailer. I wanted to run an idea by everyone to see if its reasonable before I start welding. The roads to the second property are paved roads with the speed limit of 30 MPH but limited traffic so I could go slower without any problems. Rather than spending the money on the trailer (I know everyone advocates for a trailer but this is a cheaper option), I am thinking about welding 2 inch steel tubing in the form of a T to the front of the mower that connects to a receiver for a ball mount on the truck. I will then just tilt the mower up from the front onto the ball to tow down the road. I can't image the tires on the mower can't handle 30 MPH. It seems reasonable to me, but I am wondering what everyone else thinks. Let me know. Thank you!

No way would I even consider such a thing. Think about the liability of yours--but how about other people? Other than purchasing a cheap trailer--or having a second mower at the other property--I don't know what to offer.馃憥
glenn

Interesting concept...but I think it is a bad idea...First off I would be afraid of doing damage to the transmission...and I think the road would rip up the tires....I wish I owned one of those U-Haul trailers...they are really well built

Super Moderator
I think you will probably destroy the hydraulic motors in your Zero Turn like that. Unless you have some relief valve somewhere towing anything with a hydrostatic transmission isn't recommended.

Registered
Although there are generally relief valves, at least there are on my JD 757, but they are only intended for pushing the unit around at slow speed and short distance. If I were you, I would try to find a trailer that鈥檚 big enough to handle the mower. I too had distance, more than you described, where I wanted to take my X738 and a good friend said I could use his anytime I needed to. However, once I volunteered for weekly mowing, I didn鈥檛 think it was right to presume on our friendship that much and bought my own. Unfortunately, I never found anything used. Only came close once on Craigslist.

Registered
As others has said, a bad idea from all fronts. There's a reason the tires are marked Not For Highway Use, speed being one of them. Tires are only one of many things that are going to go bad..............Mike

I always see boat trailers for free here in NY....most need some work...or don't have the title...but I do see quite a few that do have DMV documents and in not terrible shape......easy to put a flat surface on it an either tip it to drive on, or make ramps...and I had forgotten what Mike Milburn mentioned about them being marked not for use on the roads

Premium Member
If the shoulder will allow it just mow your way that 1.5 miles. It may require a slow moving sign and lights. But the mower will last longer than trying to tow it.

Registered
If the shoulder will allow it just mow your way that 1.5 miles. It may require a slow moving sign and lights. But the mower will last longer than trying to tow it.
Ditto. I drove my lawn tractor nearly that far and it鈥檚 likely much slower than your zero turn. It didn鈥檛 take all that long. I would estimate 15 minutes with my X738 (8 mph) or 757 (9 mph).
I will say that a wider trailer makes loading a bigger ZTR easier. Then you don鈥檛 have to worry about lifting the discharge chute, removing the PowerFlow unit, or removing the mower deck adapter for a lawn vac.

Super Moderator
Just make sure you are in compliance with local laws for Slow moving vehicles. In PA we have to have the reflective SMV sign in place day or night even for towed vehicles less than 25 mph! Other lights are optional but encouraged!

Premium Member
I've hauled my ZT around with part of it on the tailgate (couldn't go further forward between the wheel wells).
You might also consider making a raised platform for the ZT in your bed (doesn't have to be full-width of the bed, just strips for the wheels to go on. Depending on your ZT, it might need to be just above the top of the bed (like a sled-deck).

Registered
Those hydro drive motors are going to cost you more than a cheap/good trailer if they get screwed up... Even with the relief valves pulled I'd never do it...JMO...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts