My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today I drove about 50 miles one way in 100+ degree heat to look at a 14SB for $125 with bag, side discharge chute and KAWASAKI ENGINE!!! or so the seller said. When I got there it did have a bag and side discharge chute but it had a BRIGGS ENGINE!!! and it was a 14SZ. The seller told me that the 14SZ was a better model because you could still get parts for a Briggs. It started with one pull but it's not what I wanted. The seller dropped to $75 when I walked away but I kept on walking. Two hours and ten bucks gas wasted. That's seven strike outs trying to find a 14SB.

·
Registered
682 Posts
My sister is lucky enough to have a nice 14SB. She got it from my uncle for free. And it is perfect. I have told her that as long as we keep it maintained that she will have it for life. Kind of like an aluminum body Lawn-Boy.

·
Registered
506 Posts
That seller doesn't know a lot about mowers.....parts for the Kawasaki engine are readily available. Probably not as cheap as Briggs parts, but not rare by any means.

·
My Orange Jane Deere
3,358 Posts
Oh picky Picky Picky :sidelaugh

·
Registered
300 Posts
Sorry to hear you were a victim of B&S.... bait & switch..... briggs & stratton .... same thing :)

·
Registered
2,930 Posts
Sorry to hear about that.

I have the earlier 14SB, the one with the Lawnboy transmission which is horrible, IMHO.

I could've gotten a late model 14SB (silver deck, the desired model) that was used about 10 times since new for 100 some bucks.

Anyways, keep looking and you'll find one eventually.

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
Timberwolf1224 , What are the other differences between the early and later models ? color, engine makes etc ? just curious .

·
Registered
2,930 Posts
Timberwolf1224 , What are the other differences between the early and later models ? color, engine makes etc ? just curious .
The early model 14SB's have a green deck of a different design, and some Lawnboy parts, such as wheels, height adjusters, handles, handle brackets, blade, Lawnboy style shaft, transmission, etc. The engine is the same, maby a slight difference in HP. Here are some pictures of my early model 14SB. It is missing some decals.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
I see that on that green deck model the oil and gas are reversed as in front mounted rather than back by the handlebar ,compared to the silver deck model .I wonder why they rotated the engine 180 degrees . Thank you for the photo's and information !

·
Registered
682 Posts
Also the silver deck models have the grass opening in the back not out the side like this one does.

·
Registered
300 Posts
I see that on that green deck model the oil and gas are reversed as in front mounted rather than back by the handlebar ,compared to the silver deck model .I wonder why they rotated the engine 180 degrees . Thank you for the photo's and information !
My guess would be for two things, first the exhaust would melt the plastic grass shute and second the head might hit the rise on the front of the deck.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts