My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We finally got our old, but new to us, MTD put back together and running great, however it seems like when it's mowing it misses a small line down the middle...is this normal? I've never had a dual blade riding mower, so don't have personal experience with this sort of annoyance.

If it's not normal what are the recommendations on how to correct this problem.

·
Former MTF Admin.
25,773 Posts
How sharp are your blades? Are the blades new? My first instinct tells me that the blades are dull. Going slow allows more time for the blades of grass too stand up and be cut as the mower travels forward.. Also always mow with wide open throttle. Another thought, when was the last time you cleaned the underside of the deck? If the underside of the deck is built up with clippings you will get the same result, the loss of space above the blades results in less vacuum and less air volume out the chute.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The blades aren't terrible...the new ones are sitting on my range down in the basement...LOL...I went out and checked it over, tightened up a few things, etc and took it on a test run. It did great, evened up the uneven grass, etc....at least in the areas I actually went over.

I think it may of been more of a combo of fairly tall grass, due to all the rain...and also because of the week or more of rain it was all a bit soggy anyways. I could understand the reason for a bit of unevenness and missed bits because of that, just didn't expect it to of been as bad as it was, with a nearly untouched section down the middle.

I'm used to brush hogs and push mowers. LOL Not actual riding mowers for the lawn, just didn't know if it was something to expect. :)

·
Former MTF Admin.
25,773 Posts
Ok, yes, if the grass was tall, and/or wet, that happens as well leaving uncut strips. The new blades will certainley help as well :fing32:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts