My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Camaniac
3,751 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally decided to take the generator of my '56 cub and have it serviced. It's the last step in my loss of polarity problem. I recently bought another battery to eliminate the "floating short" theory, plus the 6v battery would only take about 1/2 charge. I bought a OEM wiring harness and installed last year. All connections clean and tight.
I called a place in town and they asked me to bring the generator in as well the voltage regulator as they rebuild them if possible. A new one would be up towards $200.00! So I hope the rebuild is possible.
While under the hood I removed the breather tube that goes from the block up to the air cleaner and cleaned it out. It was not plugged, but when I shot it with carb cleaner and blew it out there was some gunk that did come out.
I also checked the plugs and they look fair. I got the oil can out and attempted to oil the fan bearing...got some in there. I could do a compression test perhaps for grins. Any elders have anything else I should do while the hood is off?

·
Banned
1,271 Posts
Well you have gone this far! Why not put in new plugs (anything but Champions) Drain the fuel, clean the bowl and be Happy!!

·
Banned
1,271 Posts
parts man said:
Actually farmalls like Champion plugs, one of the few things I will use a Champion in. ;)
Just show's you how forgiving Farmalls are!! Eh! ROF

·
Registered
3,048 Posts
As my recollection of Farmalls and any other brand of the era weren't to finicky
to the types pf plugs, oil, fuel. Just really wet weather which is probably why I don't run properly in wet weather.. I have seen a few old Cs run on very varnished old fuel... Spit and sputter yes but they would run and stink.

·
Registered
174 Posts
parts man said:
Actually farmalls like Champion plugs, one of the few things I will use a Champion in. ;)
I'm not a champion fan but I do agree with partsman that champions and farmalls seem to go together.
caseman-d

·
Banned
1,271 Posts
Hey you guys , glad to hear that Champions have a home , I just got really tired of them , while working with Lycoming and Continental A/C engines as well as any other High compression engine!! IE Boat engines of 200 HP and above!!

My favorite above all else now is NGK!! Yep they did it better again!!
Gotta give em credit!!

·
Super Moderator
31,425 Posts
Im with you Dean. NGK makes a FINE plug, and they end up in a lot of my stuff. I never understod how a motor could favor a certin brand, but they do. For some reason my Fords always run the best on Autolites. Tryed them all, but just the plan old autolight copper's have been the best. Pretty much everything else gets the NGK's

·
Premium Member
2,395 Posts
Might as well forget it if you try a Champion in a 2 stroke, a lot of times they won't start with a brand new Champion. For a 2 stroke I prefer a Bosch, but the NGKs are a close second. ;)

·
Camaniac
3,751 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ok, all so for the champions, what are the two used for cubs? I am going to lok tonight to see what number I am currently using.

·
Registered
95 Posts
For a tractor used for light duty use D-21. For one used for serious work where a hot plug doesn't last use D-16.

Have no fears about Champion... their undeserved bad reputation is mostly an old wive's tale. Consider this... an engine is running poorly and it has plugs with red lettering. They are replaced by plugs with green lettering and the engine runs better. Therefore red lettering leads to bad plugs and green is good. Forget that many more plugs have red lettering... it is a false conclusion reached by poor logic. :fing20:

·
Camaniac
3,751 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well my dealer did not have champion plugs so he gave me autolites. I'll let you guys know how they work out. I still ave the hood off, got my new ammeter and generator rebuilt. Since I was in there, I pulled the regulator mount, adjusting bracket and fan. I cleaned them up, painted the brackets gloss black (I taped off the holes for a good ground for the regulator) - painted the fan with cold galv and the fan shroud will be farmall red. I am still waiting for the oem rear light harness. Oh and I got a new shifter knob as the old one kept coming off.

·
Camaniac
3,751 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I don't like the color of the cold-galv on my fan. I plan on wire-brushing it off. Should I be concerned with any reaction between the cold-galv and the aluminum paint I bought? I am still waiting for my rear light harness so I have some time. Everything else is staged for re-assembly.

·
Camaniac
3,751 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well, I wire-brushed off the cold-galv. I didn't like the texture or the color it came out. I cleaned it and the fan bearing up and painted them with rest-oleum aluminum color. It looks much nicer. My rear light harness came yesterday. I will post pics of the re-assembly. Thanks for all the help!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts