My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
soooo...

I ran over a rope. A long one. It promptly tangled itself up around one of the blades, thankfully I reacted quickly and shut the blade before it had a chance to stall the motor, but not before it managed to ruin my day..

Ended up dropping the deck, which is something that I had never done.. had to take off the blade and untangle the whole mess.

Couple questions:

First, now that I have the deck off.. What are my priorities for maintenance issues? Things to check, grease, oil, whatever..

Second... I did a little damage, to the part where the blade attaches to. I've included a picture:

I don't know if you can see it from the picture but the outside of the round part there.. (sorry for the lack of technical terms) is bent up from removing the rope. I don't know if this is going to cause me an issue, and what there is that I can do about it.

Thanks
Jim

·
Premium Member
9,600 Posts
I think that deck has greasable spindles, that's the first thing I would do. While the deck is off, scrape off as much grass and stuff as you can. You can decide if you want to repaint the underside. It just wears off anyway. Are your blades straight and sharp? Now is obviously a good time to try new ones if you're of a mind (gator mulchers maybe?).

I don't know about your damage. I'd probably just put everything back together and hope for the best, but maybe someone smart will come along and correct me.

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
Jim,

Yes to the post above, but I'd not bother with any paint.

I don't see any grease fittings, but if there are, of course do grease...got a grease gun? If you don't have a grease gun check your manual before buying...on second thought buy one anyway as the front steering and wheels need to be greased at least once a year. I doubt the deck has fittings, but I do not know.

Check the blades for balance, just put a something round and smooth in the hold (star, I assume) small enough around that the blade can rotate and be sure the blade can hold a horizontal position, neither side pulls the one end of the blade down.

I'd then be sure the mandrels are tight, put the blades back on and engage the deck a low RPM on the Engine. If things run smoothly, normally, increase the engine to full RPM. Be ready to shut down if you get any unusual vibration. I'd be sensitive to how the deck runs for the first frew hours, that is I'd be more alert to vibration. If any of the mandrels are damaged, I can't interpret your picture, they may have to be replaced. I'd guess they go for about $30 or so, I haven't replaced an in recent years myself. The parts are not cheap, but a lot less than a new deck, if you have any damage.

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
That bent peice is a collar. Just make sure that iit is mot rubbing on the aluminum case. It has grease zerks and they are on the top side of the spindles.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Jim,

The bent (deformed) piece is a shield to help prevent debris from getting in to the bottom bearing. You can probably GENTLY bend it back with a block of wood and a hammer. GENTLY and not too far. The alternative is to replace the mandrel shaft, but you probably don't want to do that.

The mandrels should be greasable. The grease zerks are on the other end of the mandrel shafts. The mandrels have a huge grease capacity. Each one holds about a half tube of grease.

As for the deck, scrape off the grass, rust and other crap. Coat the bottom of the deck and all fixtures underneath with a thin coat of motor oil. (A paint brush or paper towel works fine. Use either new or used oil.) This will help with rust prevention and help inhibit grass sticking to the deck.

Follow the maintenance suggestions in the owner's manual.

Runningbare

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys, all cleaned up, new blades a little paint.. (which I thought was flat silver.. turns out it was bling-shiny silver.. oh well...)

works great.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts