My Tractor Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about Tractors? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi,
I'm attempting to put a 90 degree elbow on a hydraulic hose for quick hitch angle cylinder and the threads will not let go. I've used all the force I can expect the fitting to handle and the threads do not budge. Should I try heat or is there something that can be used for the thread compound?

(I'm 100% sure I'm loosening not tightening)

This a new hose with no hydraulic fluid in it, I'm trying to disconnect the hose from the coupler and it appears john deere used a little too much thread compound.

Jim

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
I wouldn't use heat it will probably ruin the hose clamp the one part in the vice tight but not tight enough to damage the fitting then get on the other part with a box wrench 6 point if you have one and give it ****. Worst case the fitting break's you can take it to your local hyd. shop and have a new fitting pressed on to the hose. BILL

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hi,

This a new hose with no hydraulic fluid in it

Jim
I had a similar problem removing some fittings on my 332. Your'e not going to break it. Just get your wrench on there and if you can strike the wrench with a hammer a couple hits sometimes the shock will break loose the thread compound allowing you to loosen the fitting much easier. If not put some a double s into it!!!:thThumbsU

·
Registered
460 Posts
If you can hit it on the axis with a hammer, that would be your best bet. If you can't, get a wrench on it and put some torque on it with a pipe and give the wrench a sharp hit with a hammer.On the chance that it's in a horizontal spot, building up some kind of a *** and soaking the joint with methylene chloride or MEK might eventually soak in and dissolve the Loctite. It will take some time and will dissolve paint.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Guys- thanks a bunch for the reply, the fitting is now off and the elbow installed. A shot of confidence and some serious strong arming finally made it come apart. Vise grips on the hose and a ratchet wrench on the fitting worked great. I absolutely love the craftsman ratchet wrenches I received for Christmas. THANK YOU to all who responded, each of you provided valuable information (and reassurance)!

·
Registered
3,953 Posts
...and reassurance
that is the key, when you are really applying force its nice to know someone did it b4 without breaking the part OR their fingers!

glad it worked out!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.