My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I have a craftsman model 917 256531 42 inch mower, and canot find the correct mower blade belt, Sears parts sent me a 53214420 belt and it is way to short,about 3".this has a rod engage lever,not a cable for the mower, the serial # is 0425960d 004579 ,can anyone steer me in the right direction? Thank you, Don

·
Minding my P's & Q's
2,039 Posts
On edit.
Thank goodness for edit feature.

Was delicately pointed out I had the wrong link to model number when I posted earlier.
So thanks to e.fisher26 for that.

Rewriting the post so bad info not there. And so my embarrassment does not continue.

Well this is weird.
The link I put in post earlier went to pages for a 917.251522 tractor. Not sure how I got there. Fixed now.
I was careful to copy and paste the model number 917 256531 OP posted into the Sears search for model. But stranger things have happened.
Must not have been awake enough this morning. All that work on belt numbers for naught.

Sears web site for model 917.256531

Sears

Site shows belt to be P/N 144200 which Subs to 532144200
1/2" x 88"

Should be the right belt. If the right belt is in the packaging.
Is the P/N printed on the belt?

Now on to what e.fisher26 has to say. He is probably right about routeing the belt.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Unless there’s a smaller deck on it, everything I see tells me it’s the right belt. Maybe it it’s not routed correctly on the deck?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
99 Posts
Sears web site for model 917.256531
Sears site

The belt that transfers power to the deck should be P/N 144959
1/2" x 95-1/2"

The belt on the deck should be P/N 532148763
Sears site describes it as 5/8 x 85-2/5"
Should be 5/8" x 85-3/8" belt

Belt you received P/N 53214420 is 1/2" X 88-3/8"
That’s an electric PTO 2belt, 3 blade deck. I think he has a 2blade, manual engagement deck. According to the model number

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That’s an electric PTO 2belt, 3 blade deck. I think he has a 2blade, manual engagement deck. According to the model number

Thanks for the replies guys,but I am Almost positive it is routed the correct way according to the diagrahm .Sears sent me the 53214420 belt, but its about 3 inches or more short. I will check the routing tommorow and let you know!! Maybe the deck or pulley got changed at one time Thanks again!!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi Guys, Looks like the deck was changed out at one time,Bummer!!! Does any one know the tension or deflection on the belt that I have to guess at?/ Thanks again!!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What size is the deck, a 46 instead of a 42?

Hi Its a 42 now, the transaxle drive belt fit perfect but the mower belt is short, and both were ordered using the same model# from sears. ,So I think the deck or engine pulley got changed.

·
Registered
99 Posts
It’s a 42in now, but the 42in belt won’t fit? Does the discharge flap say 42? Have you measured the deck?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It’s a 42in now, but the 42in belt won’t fit? Does the discharge flap say 42? Have you measured the deck?

Hi E, it is definitely a 42 inch deck and the sears 88" belt was way to short,so I put a 92.5 in belt on and low and behold,It worked!! not bad for a guess,Iwill put it on a load test tommorow and hope it don't snap or roll off!!! Thanks!!

·
Minding my P's & Q's
2,039 Posts
Glad you got it sorted!

·
57 Posts
Something to consider is a thicker belt.
I went from a 1/2" to a 5/8" & its held up to a lot more abuse.
I had to go 2" longer with the 5/8".

I sometimes have to mow 3ft of high weeds & grass with my 42" mower.
Ive mowed higher LoL

1 - 12 of 12 Posts