My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m not really happy with words like “Ultimate”, but now that I have your attention…

I will be building my workbench soon, and I want it to be the ulti…. Well, a really good workbench.
I saw a thread about that here before, but can’t find it now; one suggestion was mounting points for the 3 point hitch.
Other ideas? What have you made / seen / heard of?

I’m thinking of a steel work surface about ¾” thick, about 3 X 6 feet. The top will overhang the frame by a couple of inches for clamping.
Steel frame, heavy duty retractable wheels [this thing will weigh around a half ton loaded]. Yes, my floor can take it. The idea is that it should stand in a corner most of the time, but be able to be brought out to the middle of the floor if wanted there. I’m thinking a long possibly removable lever and a simple linkage.
Drawers should be as close to air tight as possible, as my workplace will be damp in winter. Any ideas for that small challenge?
Easy enough to box in the back and bottom, but what about the faces? Sponge rubber seals I suppose.

A stack of low drawers for mechanic’s tools. Deep drawers for other tools.

I work in wood and steel. Fix machines… the usual stuff.

·
Retired MTF Admin
11,156 Posts
Well, how about this Mark?

Make it a comfortable height...and make it roll.

Mine is at a good height and I have a rolling vice and (rolling) bench top drill press that are all at, or near the same height. Finally, I figured a mobile vice works excellent in conjunction with the bench and drill press, especially with longer lengths of steel. A simple grab with 6" vice grips on any one of the three surfaces makes it great for welding, drilling or procedures with heavy tools like large pipe wrenches. My table only has an 1/8" steel top but works well for just about everything I've tackled.

Good luck,

Mark

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
As I said, it would have retractable wheels; I haven't decided on the exact configuration yet [2 across center, 4 with 2 casters...]

but what do you mean by a rolling vise?

I would drill and tap the work surface and bolt the vice to it. Then it would be fairly easy to remove [it would be in the way when doing cabinetwork for instance]

I have a heavy [6 or 800 pound] old standing drillpress already. Adjustable table height of course [the cast iron table weighs at least 80-100 lbs by itself], so it could be set to the workbench height easily enough.
I have a Robland tablesaw/shaper/planer table with fixed height though, and a big bandsaw. Equalizing the heights of them all is an interesting idea.

·
Retired MTF Admin
11,156 Posts
As I said, it would have retractable wheels; I haven't decided on the exact configuration yet [2 across center, 4 with 2 casters...]

but what do you mean by a rolling vise?

Here is a picture of the rolling vice. It may seem to be unstable standing along but it’s excellent (for me) for small projects that get wheel’d anywhere in my shop. It is very stable when used in conjunction with my steel work bench and/or drill press

http://www.mytractorforum.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=15226&d=1160318417

http://www.mytractorforum.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=15227&d=1160318417

Sorry, can't find a picture where the bench and other equipment are being used at the same time.

Mark

·
16,490 Posts
Here is a picture of the rolling vice. It may seem to be unstable standing along but it’s excellent (for me) for small projects that get wheel’d anywhere in my shop. It is very stable when used in conjunction with my steel work bench and/or drill press

Sorry, can't find a picture where the bench and other equipment are being used at the same time.

Mark

Nice setup--Mark!:thThumbsU

·
Collector of many tractors
15,270 Posts
I also have a movable vice, but not on wheels and its only 16" off the floor... And my main workbench had a adjustable arm to hold long metal that hangs from my vise... And I have 4 holes to hold an electric motor to power non-working gas engine to turn them while I'm trying to figure them out... And I have a welders ground on the table all the time...

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Kbeitz;738189 adjustable arm to hold long metal that hangs from my vise... And I have a welders ground on the table all the time...[/QUOTE said:
I like the arm; I think it should be height adjustable to be at the level of the table or the level of the vise jaws.

I guess I'll put the welder under the table; I use an electronic one that's very small [160A though].

which reminds me; power outlets under each side [here in Europe, 16A X 220V is standard, but my welder needs 20A] of course.

And threaded boltholes, yes. 12mm I think

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
I'm tempted to try making something like that but without wheels. I'd connect an air hose to it and float it like a hovercraft. Of course you'd need a decently flat floor to float it on.
I recall seeing somewhere on the web someone was selling these. They were designed for heavy equipment (milling machines, etc.) in factories.

·
Banned
12,901 Posts
What works good too is drill some holes in the bench top and weld nuts to the bottom of the top. then you can use straps and such with bolts to bolt projects down ..

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I found a scrap metal yard not far from my place, and he had lots of good material, including a nice 22mm [7/8"] flat plate for my tabletop.
So I asked him for a price [preco?].
3 euros per kilo he smirks.
That's like $1.80 a pound, or 3 times what I pay for new steel!
I never have been able to buy from scrapyards; always being a foreigner, they always ask redicules prices of me.
the place is only 12 miles up the road... so much nice steel... breaks my heart.

·
Father of 8!LordHelp'sMe!
738 Posts

Mark
The vice set up is too light duty. Too "tipy" if you will.
Mine is a big 6" wilton bolted with 3/4" bolts, bolted to 1/2" plate that is welded to 3" sch 40 pipe that is welded to a big old wheel rim.
Still "tipy", just not as bad! And yes, you CAN move it, it just takes a bit more work! ;)

·
Registered
150 Posts
I found a scrap metal yard not far from my place, and he had lots of good material, including a nice 22mm [7/8"] flat plate for my tabletop.
So I asked him for a price [preco?].
3 euros per kilo he smirks.
That's like $1.80 a pound, or 3 times what I pay for new steel!
I never have been able to buy from scrapyards; always being a foreigner, they always ask redicules prices of me.
the place is only 12 miles up the road... so much nice steel... breaks my heart.
Yeah not all scrap dealers are on the "up and up". Whether you are buying from them or selling to them. Be on your guard and know the market.

Good luck I'll bet it'll be a fun project.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts