My Tractor Forum banner

41 - 60 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
I heard that plastic crankshafts and con rods also are easier on the environment! Hahaha!

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
A couple year ago, I took a mechanical engineering course at Oregon State University called Failure Analysis. The class split into teams and analyzed moving parts, mostly engines. One team analyzed a Briggs Quantum and suggested changing the plastic camshaft to metal. A grad student in the room suggested that the cam was made of plastic so it wears out instead of the mating parts! :sidelaugh And I thought the idea was to have NOTHING wear out. :fing20:

·
Registered
3,579 Posts
good grief the quantum is allready weak and frail as is! however its quality built compared to some of whats offered now. the inteck has plastic gears and i have had one strip its cam gear set. i had chances to get several of the last comm lawnboys 4 strokes but i wouldnt pay top $ for a mower with a briggs quantum as a commercial machine. yes a deere deck would be sweet with a 2 stroke robin.

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
I heard that plastic crankshafts and con rods also are easier on the environment! Hahaha!
It sure is! Once it breaks, there is no possible way to make anymore pollution. That's just plain logical!

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
good grief the quantum is allready weak and frail as is! however its quality built compared to some of whats offered now. the inteck has plastic gears and i have had one strip its cam gear set. i had chances to get several of the last comm lawnboys 4 strokes but i wouldnt pay top $ for a mower with a briggs quantum as a commercial machine. yes a deere deck would be sweet with a 2 stroke robin.
I just got a new DR Trimmer/Mower with the Quantum and I'm honestly impressed so far. It always starts first pull and it's quiet, very similar sounding to the Kawasaki FC150V. My last Quantum (1990 Toro Recycler) was loud and rough. Of course who knows how long it will last...My older DR Trimmer/Mower has the Intek. 14 years old and only carb problems so far. But I've never cared for its idle quality. That new Quantum sounds far better.

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
No, it's just the "E-Series", whatever that means. I'm planning on changing to the Kawasaki FC150V or FJ180V and saving the Briggs for something less demanding. I want the pressure lube.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
If I get this, I'm gonna need get rid of the M when it's done. Anyone slightly interested?

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
I was at a dealer yesterday that had a used 22040 for sale. I took a look at it, and you know what? My legs are too d*** short to even reach the gear selector. Seeing this certainly helped my decision. If my project Toro doesn't sell within the week, I'm gonna see if the dealer will take it as a trade for some money on the Deere.

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
That "feature" is called Toe Shift. I personally think it's a solution looking for a problem. I'd prefer an ordinary hand control. What they should do is add a hand control and keep the foot control as backup.

·
Registered
3,579 Posts
by mounting it where it is they dont have to run a cable and have a shift lever on the handle bar to break. these comms see rough treatment. found the deere brochure-its weight is 113 lbs. lighter than i remembered but still a tank

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
Dan do you have any way to scan the brochure and put it up on here?

·
Registered
2,345 Posts
yeah those are heavy mowers! solid but heavy...

Not sure what my 5024 weighs, can't be much over 50lbs with the mag deck and 19" brick.

But man its like a feather next to that snapper I had for a while:)

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
yeah those are heavy mowers! solid but heavy...

Not sure what my 5024 weighs, can't be much over 50lbs with the mag deck and 19" brick.

But man its like a feather next to that snapper I had for a while:)
I've still got my 5024 in my basement. Very easy to carry up and down the stairs once the handle is off.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
I think that I can comfortably say that I will purchase this beast within the coming weeks!

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
Great, we can't wait to see it! I would have bought it weeks ago if I was there. Make sure to give us some pics when you get it!

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
Last question: do you think I should go with the demo or the true NOS? I'm leaning toward NOS. I'd just like your opinions.

41 - 60 of 72 Posts