My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think I may have found it. It's made by John Deere. It's called the "Green Machine." It's essentially a 14SC, no BBC, 5 speed, and get this, a Robin engine. I've never seen one but for today. This one dealer has lots of NOS mowers. They had 2 Ryan Turf pre-compliance machines. They also had 2 Toro P21s. Here's the Green Machine, sorry for the crappy pics:

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
I wish I had the money for it. I would be down there in a minute!

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'll see how much I make this summer. If I make enough, I'll buy it. I'm not worried about it being sold. That sign is covered in dust and filth. They also had another one.

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
I'll see how much I make this summer. If I make enough, I'll buy it. I'm not worried about it being sold. That sign is covered in dust and filth. They also had another one.
That dust could be a good haggle point. It's been there for a while, and the bottom line is they want to move it to make way for new inventory. If it's still there when you have the money, try to knock the price down by about $50. The worst they can say is "no."

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The other one was NOS for $759. This one is a demo. A little dirty. If I have this machine, a 22040, and the Liberty, my collection will be complete.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Oh wow, that's rare. Ive never seen a JD with a Robin engine. It's got the EH18v which is an ohv 6hp (gross hp)model. Have any idea what year this mower is from? They used that same engine on some Snappers until 2003/2004 or so.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I do know one thing that is absolute. Lawnboydan will be all over this one.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Tru dat! Especially having no bbc and a robin engine. LBdan, you alive out there?:trink40:

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I edited the pictures:

·
Premium Member
1,286 Posts
That thing's a beast! Do you need a special permit to operate it? :D

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
OMG! the rarest of the rare!. i have only seen this mower in a brochure. its the robin 6.5 hp which is a total beast. i have one on a snapper and its unstoppable. super heavy. i actually have all the stuff needed to build one of these green machine clones. thought about it. this mower is really for sale? they havnt sold this since the early 90,s. wonder if the dealer would ship!? i have a huge store of robin 6.5 parts. first that ultra rare deere 12pcshows up on here and now this!

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
deere bought green machine in the early 90,s and sold stuff under the then well known green machine name. didnt catch on and the name was sold to fuji-robin-still didnt catch on.name died out.

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
Holy cow, that's awesome. So it really is legit. Seems too good to be true. I guess I don't need to worry about it much since I'll never find one. I'd hate to think what it must weigh with that Robin OHV...

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
i still have the brochure with the specs-it weighs a whopping 130 lbs if i recall. but i can dig up the brochure. there was a push version as well.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Dan, if you're interested, shoot me a PM. We'll talk.

·
Registered
432 Posts
WOW I have never seen a green Robin engine! That thing is cool! I think if I bought that I'd be hesitant to ever use it, I'd want it to stay as clan as it is right there. Jeez that's cool.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
If I bought, I'd have no trouble using it. I've heard great things about that engine. It's funny because a few days before I found this I was thinking about how much I miss my 14SB and how I'd never find one again. I probably never will. I found something better!

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
the robin 6.5 is a stout engine -however its too heavy for normal everyday use. the recoil is also weak . i have gone tru several on mine. parts are expencive and extremly hard to find. if i had one of these mowers -i doubt i would use it much. to be fair there are 2 types of starters-one stylized and one heavy duty -like the reg wis robin. mine are the stylized and dont hold up well. these deere ones have the heavy duty.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
the robin 6.5 is a stout engine -however its too heavy for normal everyday use. the recoil is also weak . i have gone tru several on mine. parts are expencive and extremly hard to find. if i had one of these mowers -i doubt i would use it much. to be fair there are 2 types of starters-one stylized and one heavy duty -like the reg wis robin. mine are the stylized and dont hold up well. these deere ones have the heavy duty.
There seem to be plenty of parts on RCPW for this engine. Also, I don't plan on using it daily since I don't mow everyday. I'm trying to decide between this and a Toro 22040 that I can probably get for cheap assuming I can't have both.

1 - 20 of 72 Posts