My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Folks, I have lurked for some time and found plenty to keep me entertained.

I am modding a garden ride-on at the moment and have decided that a hydro box may be the way to go.

I will post my specific questions when I find the correct forum.
Below what I started with and where I am now with my project.

Regards rog8811

Attachments

·
Retired Super Moderator - Deceased September 2015
26,679 Posts
Interesting Mod you got there! Looks like you are making a mini-jeep by the look of the Grill? What you gonna do with it as a end use?
SonnyT

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Other than lending it to my employers, to attract visitors onto the stand at shows, I will most likely build it, sell it, build something else.

Regards rog8811

·
Retired Super Moderator - Deceased September 2015
26,679 Posts
:thanku: Keep us updated on your progress. Not sure what Forum, but maybe the Homemade Tractor Forum would be the Forum to Post this in. CLICK HERE Someone else may know a better Forum for the build?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have not been around for a while and I thought it about time to update this thread.
I stopped work on this as a series Land rover came into my life and took all my time, now that the landie is up and running I thought I would get back onto the tractor.

Jeep now has a bonnet and a windscreen, here are some pici's, I will try to keep the thread updated.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
35,925 Posts
Hey that is pretty cool build you have there! I'd put a tranny from a JD 110 - 216 in there (maybe without the variator) as it would give you something close to a shifting jeep! The hydro would be easier if small kids may operate though!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I am keeping a look out for a hydro... needs to be cheap though as this is meant to be a low cost build....

The 5 speed +reverse that is on it will have to do for now

I am not aware of the JD transmission that you mention, I will look it up, thanks.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hi folks, I have had another bit of spare time! It seems to come around every year or so:eek::eek:
Anyhoo I have finished the screen and today I built all the parts for the steering, this has a chain drive to get the steering wheel over to the right side....

Also started to see how the seat will fit...need to sleep on that one. Lastly I have won a hydrodrive on Ebay, which I will fit as soon as it arrives and I have checked its condition.

I hope to post more tomorrow

Attachments

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Another day of progress, I have a bench seat left over from my land rover project, it just about fits inside the body work so today I set about doing some woodwork to frame out the rear deck.
I reformed a couple of plastic handles for the rear corners and used them to locate the rear supports.
Followed by an underframe and a flat deck.

After all of that I am not sure about the seat, I think it would look better with 2 single seats as long as I can find some 400mm wide..... more pondering required.

Attachments

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Just though I would tell you that you have the steering wheel on the wrong side. :hide:
:fing20: D'oh!

Interestingly I was going to go LHD until I realised the brake is on the right and the steering arm to the front axle would be in the way if I put the wheel on the left...... so I had to put it on "the correct side" :)

·
Premium Member
2,379 Posts
Hey, that's a great little Jeep! Did you make the grill?

·
Premium Member
2,379 Posts
Thats a great grill. You really nailed the iconic Jeep look. Did you know that Ford designed and stamped that grill first when they started building jeeps to help out the war effort. It was quicker and cheaper to produce so the other two mgrs got their grills from Ford. But Ford had 9 slots so Willy's went to 7 slots to avoid legal issues.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
An update for you, all the metal work and interior fitments are finished, most of the painting done. This week end I wired it up and ran the engine for the first time in 2 years, I would have taken it out for a run but for the fact that the fuel pipe sprang a leak onto the exhaust manifold :Stop: ..Oh and I could not find the circlips to hold the wheels on....any way nearly there!:fing32:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
7,815 Posts
looks cool!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts