My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Changed the hydro oil in my ford 1900 yesterday. When I pulled the filter out to clean it, it was covered in tiny metal shavings. :eek:mg: I'm assuming that probably isn't a good thing eh? :crybaby:

·
Retired Aug.31 2007
7,473 Posts
That is probably an UH OH unless this is the first time it has been changed.

·
Registered
62 Posts
If it's the screen that's in the transmission then everything is going according to plan. Just means someone's been grinding the gears a little hard, that's all.

-Leon

·
Premium Member
5,674 Posts
Hydraulics as a general rule are not known for making fine metal shaving unless you have something failing. How much metal did you have? Just some or a LOT? How many hours since the last change?

Other than this how you gettin along?

·
Premium Member
2,393 Posts
In a 1900 the trans/dif are the reservoir, filings are normal.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hydraulics as a general rule are not known for making fine metal shaving unless you have something failing. How much metal did you have? Just some or a LOT? How many hours since the last change?

Other than this how you gettin along?
Enough that the filter was pretty much clogged up and as for the last change? Good question, I'm thinking with 1300 hrs it probably never had a change. More than likely the maintenance I'm doing now is the most it's ever had.
I'm doing not too bad aside from waking up 3,4 or 5 times a night with major pain in my shoulder, feels like little green men attempting to tear it out of the joint. Got a few weird things I figure have to do with nerve problems to talk to my doc about when I get back from vacation. Victoria to Port Angeles and beyond on Tues morn. Not going to take a chance of ruining my first real vacation with the wife in about 7 years. It's actually kind of our honeymoon so to speak. But never mind me, how you getting along? Things getting a little better. If your smarter than me you'll heal up just fine.

And Parts Man. Thanks for that, makes me feel a little better.

·
22,115 Posts
Is the case cast iron or aluminium? If it's aluminum and the shavings are the same, you have a problem. If it's cast iron it's probably normal, unless the shavings were in quantity in the oil that was drained. Then...Uh oh!

Bob

·
1981 Ford 1100 4WD
876 Posts
I saw the same thing on the first oil change on my Ford 1100. The shavings looked like they were left over from the initial machining process, not from gears. I washed it well and re-filled. It's still running strong after 28 years.

·
Premium Member
5,674 Posts
Enough that the filter was pretty much clogged up and as for the last change? Good question, I'm thinking with 1300 hrs it probably never had a change. More than likely the maintenance I'm doing now is the most it's ever had.
I'm doing not too bad aside from waking up 3,4 or 5 times a night with major pain in my shoulder, feels like little green men attempting to tear it out of the joint. Got a few weird things I figure have to do with nerve problems to talk to my doc about when I get back from vacation. Victoria to Port Angeles and beyond on Tues morn. Not going to take a chance of ruining my first real vacation with the wife in about 7 years. It's actually kind of our honeymoon so to speak. But never mind me, how you getting along? Things getting a little better. If your smarter than me you'll heal up just fine.

And Parts Man. Thanks for that, makes me feel a little better.
Sounds like Parts Man has the answer to your metal since it is a common sump. I would take the advise and use a magnet check to see if it is aluminum or not just to comfort the mind.

Should I see about getting the "Men in Black" to come hunt down yer little green men? :biglaugh: I understand about the nerve damage, after they were done carving on me the nerve problems with my arms and neck mostly cleared up (70 to 80 %) as well as the right foot but not much change in the left foot, still no feeling. Anyway as much as I hate to admit it I am not very smart, I decided since I was now allowed to drive I would use the 850 on some of the easy front lot, paid for it for the last three days.

Enjoy that vacation/honeymoon, seems like we have so little quality time for those who put up with us and or self destructive ways.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I feel better now. I just cleaned the strainer on my Ford 1300 for the first time (I have no idea if the original owner ever did, and I have not had it for long). It had maybe half a teaspoon of fine steel shavings, some paint chips, bits of grit, etc.

The hydraulic system was really sluggish when I tried to move some snow (30 inches!) in December. I had already seen in another forum that I should check the strainer (the guy who seemed to know asked "How many years since you cleaned the strainer?"). I noticed the transmission/hydraulic fluid looked milky when I checked the dipstick and figured it must be wet, and ice crystals were plugging the strainer. When I drained it, it was what automatic transmission guys call "mayonaise". It will get fresh oil before I turn it over again. I have no idea how old that oil is ... might be the original from 1983. The drain holes under the rear axle were loaded with crud, including one broken-off helicoil from Lord knows where.

What the heck, it runs. It will get better care from here on out, and I'll monitor for signs of excessive wear.

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
sounds like a buddies 1210. i went over to mow his pasture for him and I saw a 1210 and 4' hog under his shed with flat tires. i asked why HE wasn't mowing his pasture with that machine.. he said it didn't run.

I sent him to town to get oil and filters while I mowed.. when he got back, we aired up the tires. they all held.. changed all fluids and filters, and fixed a small hole in the trans case in a thin spot he had knocked into it with a trailer.

tractor fired up with a charged battery. did smoke a lil.. but worked decently for a 1984 machine.

as far as I know.. it had the original oil and filters on it when i worked on it for him that day... :hide:

soundguy

·
Registered
30 Posts
I cleaned the strainer on the 1300 last trip up, and got fresh universal hydraulic fluid in it today. Exercised it a few times to flush fresh fluid thru the cylinders, etc, and I must say the former sluggishness is gone.

The old oil, which came out looking like cream, settled over the week. I've seen worse used hydraulic oil (a 3000 psi system I used to use on an indoor servohydraulic test machine stayed clean, but developed a burned paper smell). The stuff that settled to the bottom is horrid - thick and white, like something made with flour. I also think the old oil was a grade or two too heavy ... slow to go down the funnel when I poured it into my recycling container.

The tractor will sit for a couple of weeks before I get back to it, and I'll bleed the drains a little to see if any additional sludge has collected there.

·
Premium Member
5,674 Posts
as far as I know.. it had the original oil and filters on it when i worked on it for him that day... :hide:

soundguy
Sad to say we all know em', know I do, the ones that think nothing about servicing and maintaining their tractors. I guess they figure it ain't the same as running down the road at high speed so they don't need the care, just run it till it drops then gripe that it broke down. :fing20: I would bet GOOD money the neighbor across the road has the same oil in his Massey, plus what he has had to add to top it off, that came in it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts