My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,597 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so I changed the transmission fluid in my JD 316 Kohler. Replaced the proper JD oil filter, hooked up bottom cooling pipe as it should be and capped the transmission fill port. I have a nut and lock washer left over and I can't figure out where they came from. Looks to be about 3/8". Nothing is leaking as far as I can tell. It's stopped raining so I'm going to look under the tractor again. Any thoughts?

·
close enuff works for me
3,101 Posts
aren't you supose to have parts left over ? .........................how else do you collect a box of spare parts to look through, before you go to TSC

·
16,487 Posts
Could they have been left over from a previous repair? Maybe up on the frame rail or somewhere and got jiggled loose??

Look close inside the nut--see if the threads are rusty/dirty--or shiny--that'll maybe tell you recent or not...

·
Registered
12,406 Posts
:ROF If you got a buddy like a late one of mine, he may have "added" a couple of things around your job site.:D Mean trick, but choosing the exact right "addition" (like a tiny spring or moon clip) would get plenty of laughs. I wish I'd find one of those little springs again these days.:)

·
Premium Member
9,597 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Could they have been left over from a previous repair? Maybe up on the frame rail or somewhere and got jiggled loose??

Look close inside the nut--see if the threads are rusty/dirty--or shiny--that'll maybe tell you recent or not...
Oh no, they're recent. Nice and shiny, right there in the oil catch pan. I can't see anywhere where they might go. Worse, I kind of remember unscrewing them, but I can't remember from what. It stinks getting old.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Back when I had a mini lathe I would make intricate looking parts just fooling around with the lathe. It was always fun to drop some really important looking totally useless turning on a bench with someone's disassembled project. No one could ever identify the part as it was a one of a kind random turning, sometimes complete with a cross pin or an o-ring or two.....:trink40:

·
The Gate Keeper
1,181 Posts
Back when I repaired laptops, I had a spare cracked LCD screen and I would "accidentally" drop it off the workbench and then look at the person like it was their real screen. It was hilarious to see the look on their faces.

·
Bikes/Tractors what else
1,461 Posts
While I was in college, I worked as a machinist for the company that built the Barrett-Cravens forklifts. We had a joker in the assembly area who would always drop some parts under the forklift that a newbie was working on in final assembly. The fun would start when they would do their final check.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts