My Tractor Forum banner
21 - 28 of 28 Posts

· Registered
3,174 Posts
Thank you again sir for your advice..
Ok I will keep the GT3204 and I think I want to get ZT commercial used...
U prefer JD and I will look...agreed 48 to 50 in deck is good...U don't think financing 2yr new ZT and using for 300hrs and flipping to keep maintaining a low?
I usually buy everything used and I just want to make sure I get what I want and not have to search and drive all over the place to get something
If you maintain a machine well, 300 hrs isn’t much. Most lawncare services put over a 1000 in a couple of years and trade them, but most of the commercial machines will run 2000-3000 hrs without much maintenance. Some have a trend of bearing failures in the decks before that, but that’s not major either. Most failures I believe are from over stressing the transaxles and engines which leads to seal or bearing failures. Some failures are due to water intrusion caused by pressure washing. My 757 is air cooled horizontal shaft engine which has a tendency to suck in dry grass and blow it into the cooling fins which causes the engine to overheat which causes gaskets and seals to fail. I bought the machine cheap enough to allow me to have it repaired. I also found running standard 10W30 oil wouldn’t keep the oil pressure high enough when returning to idle after running an hour or so which gave me a low oil pressure indication. I installed a digital oil pressure gauge that read in pounds, then switched to Mobil 1 20W50 Synthetic motorcycle oil and haven’t had a problem since. I also use a leaf blower to clear debris from the deck and engine after every mow.

Reactions: CatMan7475

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
If you maintain a machine well, 300 hrs isn’t much. Most lawncare services put over a 1000 in a couple of years and trade them, but most of the commercial machines will run 2000-3000 hrs without much maintenance. Some have a trend of bearing failures in the decks before that, but that’s not major either. Most failures I believe are from over stressing the transaxles and engines which leads to seal or bearing failures. Some failures are due to water intrusion caused by pressure washing. My 757 is air cooled horizontal shaft engine which has a tendency to suck in dry grass and blow it into the cooling fins which causes the engine to overheat which causes gaskets and seals to fail. I bought the machine cheap enough to allow me to have it repaired. I also found running standard 10W30 oil wouldn’t keep the oil pressure high enough when returning to idle after running an hour or so which gave me a low oil pressure indication. I installed a digital oil pressure gauge that read in pounds, then switched to Mobil 1 20W50 Synthetic motorcycle oil and haven’t had a problem since. I also use a leaf blower to clear debris from the deck and engine after every mow.
Oh my you are fountain of information...20W-50 brilliant...yes I don't wash but once month...scrap and air blow every day and always clean grass from deck...GT1054 doesn't have covers 54in so grass easily gets in not good...I just purchased covers online and they don't fit eventhough diagrams say so?
That's even better I can keep to 700-800hrs and get good return and low maintenance at least expensive...
So if I have to spend a little more I will also...
I just want more power than I need , meter, big rubber wheels in front , seat comfortably as much as possible...I hear that is issue some times...
I will cut slopes with 21 commercial mower as needed and ZT...
So I need to look at ZT ...JD or Cub with wheel or others mentioned above....my friend in business pretty much said what you did but your details are remarkable...He has Mad Dog or Bad Boy something for 10yrs and purchased for $6000 has no issues and 60in deck but he has it easy most accounts are fields...luck *******...lol...lol
I need 48 to 54in at best at this point until I can resecure school districts and commercial accounts ...Thank you again sir for your advice and time...you are helping me with my decision and will advise you before I do a

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Mr RT3660
What do you think about JD 365ZR...24HP 48in deck , meter around $3900?
Simplicity or Gravely 48in ?? I will be financing so if I go over budget no issues...
I am assuming from your information I will have this ZT for 5 to 8 yrs maybe more less if I get more large field accounts...
So I guess I should get most comfortable powerful and up to date modifications...
I will be selling GT1054/ 384hrs and 33in Walk behind Cub 760s /520hrs to offset costs and keep Cub GT3204, JD 21in 8.75hp, HRC216 and new ZT????

· Registered
3,174 Posts
Mr RT3660
What do you think about JD 365ZR...24HP 48in deck , meter around $3900?
Simplicity or Gravely 48in ?? I will be financing so if I go over budget no issues...
I am assuming from your information I will have this ZT for 5 to 8 yrs maybe more less if I get more large field accounts...
So I guess I should get most comfortable powerful and up to date modifications...
I will be selling GT1054/ 384hrs and 33in Walk behind Cub 760s /520hrs to offset costs and keep Cub GT3204, JD 21in 8.75hp, HRC216 and new ZT????
If you can afford it, a Z545R might be a better choice because it will mow faster, but both are residential mowers. For a lawncare service, you would need to be in the Z900 series which are substantially more $$$.
That’s why I would recommend a low to medium hr. used machine to stay closer to your budget. You might also want to keep the 33” walkbehind for a while to see how things are working out.

· Registered
3,174 Posts
Forgot to mention, check the fuel capacity. You don’t want to have to fill too often when the mower is hot, for safety. The 757 holds 9 gal and uses 1-1.5 gal/hr. Gives you a lot of mowing before needing refilled. The Scag Tiger Cat I mentioned travels up to 12 mph which would be great for moving between places, but I usually only mow at about 8 mph (2 acres/hr), but full speed is only 9 mph.

Commercial mowers weigh 1100-1300 lbs. which is partly why they ride smoother. Your trailer and ramp have to be able to carry that weight plus any other mowers. The large mower should be positioned over the axle. Too far forward and there’s too much weight on the tongue. Too far aft of the axle and there’s no weight on the tongue and it’s unsafe to tow.

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Forgot to mention, check the fuel capacity. You don’t want to have to fill too often when the mower is hot, for safety. The 757 holds 9 gal and uses 1-1.5 gal/hr. Gives you a lot of mowing before needing refilled. The Scag Tiger Cat I mentioned travels up to 12 mph which would be great for moving between places, but I usually only mow at about 8 mph (2 acres/hr), but full speed is only 9 mph.

Commercial mowers weigh 1100-1300 lbs. which is partly why they ride smoother. Your trailer and ramp have to be able to carry that weight plus any other mowers. The large mower should be positioned over the axle. Too far forward and there’s too much weight on the tongue. Too far aft of the axle and there’s no weight on the tongue and it’s unsafe to tow.
Yes after your recommendation I have been researching further...
The 500 series JD seems like a perfect fit for me the power, price etc and did see issues with small tanks didn't know that was result with hot tank?
Yes I have noted the weight and definitely will need to upgrade trailer 6x10 minimum...
The 900s are beautiful and pricey at 10K+...
I have been reading up on Bad Boy ZT that my friend has and he is modest son of *****...lol...lol...He has one of the best commercial mower's around but he has several fields....That's my goal but it takes time and strategy...
Thank you Master for your advice and help...really really appreciated...
I am going to go JD dealer and few other this month and will revert with questions etc thank you

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Good morning Mr RT3660
I have been researching JD ZT 535M...197hrs 25HP...$3900...
I just sold my GT1045 for $960...I have GT3204 23HP Kohler 940hrs.with maintenance records from 2005 serviced every fall...its a beast and runs like Mercedes Benz...Would you sell it to get ZT or keep and still buy ZT???
I will probably not use tractor for snow removal and just use snow blower so is it overkill...
However I got 3204 and dump trailer from friend for $450 because he had to move??
So it cost me nothing and have offers for $1000-$1200?? When I was selling GT1054 everyone wanted the GT3204??
Thank you sir

· Registered
3,174 Posts
Good morning Mr RT3660
I have been researching JD ZT 535M...197hrs 25HP...$3900...
I just sold my GT1045 for $960...I have GT3204 23HP Kohler 940hrs.with maintenance records from 2005 serviced every fall...its a beast and runs like Mercedes Benz...Would you sell it to get ZT or keep and still buy ZT???
I will probably not use tractor for snow removal and just use snow blower so is it overkill...
However I got 3204 and dump trailer from friend for $450 because he had to move??
So it cost me nothing and have offers for $1000-$1200?? When I was selling GT1054 everyone wanted the GT3204??
Thank you sir
I wouldn’t sell the GT3204 for a while, if ever. It’s the machine you can count on. Then you can see if the Z530M or R (better seat) 24 hp; or Z545R 25 hp does what you want it to. HOWEVER, I believe these are still residential machines and the warranty will be shorter for commercial use. By the way, the fuel capacity might be too small. Did you look at the Z730M? Faster, more fuel, larger tires, bigger seat. These are some of 5he things that make the better machines more expensive.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.