My Tractor Forum banner
1 - 20 of 79 Posts

·
Super Moderator
43,943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Picked up the snowblower yesterday, condition was a bit worse than I could tell in the pictures on ebay. I rebuilt 2 type 37A's that were not in this bad of condition. Since I don't have any welding equipment I will have to price the sheetmetal work, I'm in a good spot though there are fabrication shops all around here. Here are the pictures of the 1st night of tear-down, the good thing is I could use the cutoff wheel on most of the bolts, they weren't worth replacing! This may be a whole winter project so it may be some time between posts!

Attachments

·
9K+ Poster
12,162 Posts

·
USMC
19,144 Posts
:goodl: and it looks like you got your work cut out for you. Keep us posted as you progress. slkpk

·
JD Green all the way~!
1,324 Posts
One idea to ponder would be to part it out, and relist all the parts on ebay and sell them off, and come out ahead. Might be able to find you one in better shape that was not put out to pasture before its time ya know.

I saw a #33 rear tiller get parted out, and adding up all the parts in my head what they sold for, it came to the amount of what 3 #33 rear tillers would sell for on average. Thats around $350.00 to $450.00 a tiller from what i saw.

Amazing watching people fight over the smallest things. I bought the rear tillers upper most chain guard for $9.99 as I was the only bidder, cause mine was missing, and felt like that was a deal. Paint was gone, and it was all rusty at that. Some of the other parts had 20 to 40 some bidders when it was all said and done and those parts when for some big bucks considering what they were.

~F~

·
Super Moderator
43,943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It will depend on the estimate from the metal shop. If I can get the metal work done for about $100.00 - $150.00 then I'll be ahead. These tend to sell on ebay for $400.00 - $550.00 depending on condition. I calculated the parting out and I can get what I paid for it in parts probably $200 - $300 (the auger has some surface rust but is in otherwise great shape and should bring about $100.00 - $150.00 by itself after a cleanup and paint) but if the metal work isn't too bad I like the idea of keeping something from the rustpile.

·
Premium Member
9,753 Posts
:bump9:

I traded in a type 49 with manual with my 318. So you could buy one in working order pretty easily.

·
Super Moderator
43,943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
KATT,
I was pressing my luck with the War department, I bought the 318 and blade before selling my 212 and 216 and things went to DEFCON 1! So had to take a risk on the snowblower as I got it on ebay for $177.50. I was pretty sure I could recover that much parting it out if the sheet metal couldn't be repaired! Anyways I've since sold the 212, 216 and all the implements I had for them so world peace has been restored! I should get the estimate this week for the sheetmetal repair. If it's more than $150.00 I'll probably start selling parts on ebay!:hide:

·
10K and Climbin!
12,749 Posts
Got a little further, whole thing is torn down and I took the housing to the metal shop today. Here are some pics of the pieces!
Whoa there... Looks like sumthin I'd buy!! If your clearance between the auger and the body are roomy consider welding a new backing piece on there and use the rust converter on the whole thing.. Lots of work but you'll have a good dependable unit for a long time.. :goodl:

·
Super Moderator
43,943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I don't weld but I live in a metal shop rich environment here in the area. Took it to the machine shop (less than 200 yards away) and they are going to give me a quote on the metal work. There are about $85.00 worth of parts I have to replace or buy (belt, blade, wear plate, eccentric collar for bearing, yep broke one pullin it!) and if metal work is over $150.00 then parting it out might be the best option!

·
USMC
19,144 Posts
:bannana: Found out that the metal work would be in the ball park so I'm in the rebuild process on this snowblower! Picked up the parts that had to be replaced so should have pictures of the cleaning and painting starting soon!:00000060:
Were looking forward to them. slkpk

·
Registered
395 Posts
Please keep us updated on the project. I have a similar unit that has surface rust I was going to try to restore this summer, but summer got away from me and its now mounted up ready for action.

How well do these blowers work? I don't need to throw it far, but I want to blow it off the driveway (28' wide) from the middle. My walk behind wind-rows it and about the third time through that stuff is packed solid. I'm hoping I only have to blow it once with the tractor.

Good luck.

·
Super Moderator
43,943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Got started on cleaning up the small pieces today and purchased and ordered the parts that were broke or beyond repair! Here's a pic of the cleaning I got done today! You might be wondering why the chute handle is not connected to the gear. I'm going to modify it so that it can be removed when not in use. One of the Type 37A snowblowers I had was modified and was it great to have that out of the way when storing and moving!!:00000060:

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
43,943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thought I'd update the Snowblower rebuild. Got the housing back from the welder today! I thought they did a great job and they ended up reinforcing the sides more than I expected. Those of you with welding skills should appreciate this! Cooks Machine Shop in Pleasantville PA is the business, they do a lot of custom work as they have 2 CNC machines, lathes, presses etc....! The remainder are pics of the sandblasting and priming I currently have done. Would have gotten further today but went through a 150 lbs of sand today due to the deep rust in these items! Have a very primitive sandblasting location!

Attachments

1 - 20 of 79 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.