My Tractor Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Picked up a 117CC Stihl 075 and a 115CC Wright Blade saw. The Wright was made by Beard Poulan, back when Poulan made top of the line pro saws. Now, I need to find a blade or two for it. The blade saws were made for specific jobs, not necessarily cutting firewood , logging, or tree work. The wood cutting blades were made for use where a straight, accurate cut was needed, commercial slaughter house's used a different blade, and an all purpose blade.

·
Registered
877 Posts
So how does the blade move? Does it reciprocate?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Rarefish383

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Got two little ones today. I was in Ace the other day, they are my
I do not recognize that Stihl model number, what era (vintage) is that saw. I have an 031AV and an MS310 as well as two other makes.
Came out in 74, popular with the milling guys. Big saw, will pull a 72" bar.

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So how does the blade move? Does it reciprocate?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yes, it's a reciprocating blade, but the blade is missing. It is direct drive with no clutch, so when it's sitting idling, the blade is moving. There are a few good video's on Youtube. Only thing is people really attack it as being worthless. They have no idea what they are talking about. It was a purpose built saw. They were made for cutting big beams that HAD to have straight, square, cuts, and slaughterhouses. Different blades for different tasks. They were not made for logging or bucking firewood. Since the blade goes back and forth on a relatively short stroke, it does not clear the saw dust like a chain does. The operator had to pull it back and forth to clear the saw dust. It has some different features that most would consider odd. One, if you let go of the trigger, it shuts off. If you want to let it idle, you push the whole trigger to the left, and it flops over, and it locks in at an idle. I've known about the Wrights for many years, never actually touched one before, and I didn't know who made them. I always thought it was Wright. When I picked this one up there is a big tag that says, "A Division of Beard-Poulan". That was back in the day that Poulan made top of the line pro saws.

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Picked up two more this morning. I was in Ace the other day and my friend behind the counter said he had something for me. He gave me the number of a guy that had two old saws. A Homelite Super XL Automatic and an Echo 280E. I think he would have given them to me, but, I gave him $15 each for them. He said his neighbor gave him the Homelite when he built his house in 1977, and it was used then. He also said it hasn't run in more years than he could count. Got it home, put a shot of mix in the carb and it fired right up. Filled the tank and primed it two or three more times and it started drawing from the tank, runs, revs, and idles just like it should. The Echo fire on a prime, but wont draw from the tank. Gonna check the fuel lines and filter tomorrow. Hope I don't have to rebuild the carb. I actually find quite a few OLD SAWS that have set for years that start right up and pull fuel from the tank. Most new saws that have sat for a couple years need the gummed up carb rebuilt.

·
Registered
452 Posts
You got two great saws there. Did you say you had a meat saw blade for one of you Wright saws? Would you want to trade? I have a Amish farm down the road who wants one of my saws to butcher with. Thanks for saw candies.

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sorry, no I don’t have any blades, I just meant that was a common use. I’ve heard they are not rare, just my searches have come up empty.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts