My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2,930 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got two more Lawn-Boy's today! Both non-compliance F engines. First, a very nice 19" 5247 and a 21" 4571 Mulch-R-Catch. I got them both for $10 a piece! They were sitting outside, so I thought they would be trouble to get running. But, when I got them home, I cleaned up the spark plug, cd pack, and flywheel and had them both running within maby an hour. They both need cleaned up some more and some parts need replaced, such as wheels and some other stuff. The blades need sharpened as well. The 5247's aluminum deck is like new! As for the Mulch-R-Catch, I have plans to put the engine from it on my 4502 Utility deck. The 4571's deck now has a hole on the one side of the deck and grass and smoke fly out of it towards the operator! It's ashame that nearly every Mulch-R-Catch you find has a rusted deck. They are still some of my favorite's though. Pics in a bit.:thThumbsU

·
Registered
2,930 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Oh! And another plus! I got my S21ESR running somewhat correct. I converted it from choke carb to primer carb. (Pics of how I did this later.) Anyways, I put a good carb on it awhile a week or so ago, and it ran way to high and lean. I tried adjusting it, no luck. So, I took it apart last night and found that I must have been in a hurry and didn't put the carb gasket that goes between the carb and block! So, I put one on, put a better carb on, and it runs great! The carb still needs adjusted. Also, the self-propel will need adjusted as well. But, I got it running ok! Patience does wonders in this hobby!:thThumbsU

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
Nice finds, glad you got the S series running, Patience is key.:trink40:

·
Registered
2,930 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sorry guys, I was busy last night. Here are ALOT of pics. First of the 5247. They are after I cleaned it up a bit and after I replaced the height adjusters and wheels. They were not too good.....

Attachments

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
Colin....I am going to start calling you "Ol'School"....!!!

·
Registered
2,930 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Here are pics of the 4571 Mulch-R-Catch. I love these mowers! Before I go ahead and try to put the motor off of the 4571 onto the Utility deck, I am going to try to repair the bad part on the 4571's deck with some Bondo. I would really like a nice, original Mulch-R-Catch. This is the second 4571 that I have had. But, the one that I had before this had a regular green shroud that said Mulch-R-Catch. I parted it out. I never should've!:crybaby: Anyways, here are some pics. The second pic shows the bad part on the 4571's deck. As you can see in the fourth pic, the vinyl on the handles is in good shape. Gotta love that dark green on these mowers!:fing32:

Attachments

·
Old engine addict
292 Posts
That's a shame about the deck on that 4571. My neighbor had the self propelled version of that mower for years. It is the mower that first got me interested in Lawn Boy's back in the late 80's. I'd love to find one around here. I love all the dark green they used on them.

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
5247 is one of my favorites.
How much do one of these 5247s weight? They are pretty light right? In order of weight...what is the lawn boy food chain lightest to heaviest?

·
Registered
216 Posts
t-wolf- nice machines you have there, nice avatar pic too.

If you end up wanting a better Mulch-R-Catch shroud I have a really nice one.
Maybe we could work somethin out if you can help find me a promo yellow one.

(Aka I got that hybrid promo w/ the wrong shroud off ebay awhile back)

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
1 - 20 of 25 Posts