My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
These things are driving me nuts - The C120 auto had been used to mow eight days ago. It had a new solenoid and main wires replaced, as well as the starter earlier in April. It has been running great - until today! I went to start it and it clicked but wouldn't turn the engine over. Tried jumping it from the positive to the starter cable and still nothing. I'm charging the battery now to see if that could be it but that's new as well.

The old problem with the C120-8 has cropped up again. It's been starting fine and has been run with no attachments except rototiller. Today, with the hydro down I moved the mower over. I had started the tractor and moved it out to put the mower on so knew there was no problem. Everything hooked up easily, turned the key - absolutely nothing. No sound at all. :banghead3 Dragged out the jumpers and it started fine.

The wiring is the main problem with the -8 I'm thinking but the hydro is another matter as everything is new and was running great. Any ideas anyone? Rewire that one too?

Oh - I checked the starter and the bendix is moving freely. The new solenoid required a ground wire from one of the top posts (the other goes to the ignition). I wired it directly to the ground side of the battery - could this have caused a drain? Thanks folks!

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
Maybe they want you to put the carb on the other one! :ROF Did Cathy get near them to make it so you would work on the other one??

The first sounds like a starter now and the 2nd a battery?

Dave, at least they run!:praying:

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Talk about mundane - I ran the wiring check, got rid of a twisted wire connection by cutting it out and soldering the wires. Ran the test again - everything checks - except: decided to see if the solenoid (new out of the box) was working.

Put a jumper across the two terminals and nothing - bad solenoid? Put the tester on the starter side, clicked the key and got a light. A friend stopped by and said I should to try again down at the starter because I had power on both sides of the solenoid. Surprise, it was dead at the starter end! We grounded the solenoid post to the ground and she fired right up. Of all things - a foot long battery cable!! And... the only one I hadn't replaced!! :hide:

I will get a new cable but to run it, I switched the cable around and straightened the end that was bent up to the solenoid terminal. Gave the key a twist and I'm using it today until the new cable is on it.

Lesson learned! Get a multi-meter and use one of those very inexpensive probe testers! As far as I'm concerned, it's more than paid for itself since I bought it for under $5!!

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's running all right!! Just to give you a laugh: put the new starter cable on and the tractor starts fine now. We're doing a project and so I backed up to the to trailer which my wife and I had just dropped a 7X7 porch onto. I stopped and put the parking brake on, hooked things up, put the tractor in gear and :swow: , smoke and very bad sound coming out of the belt area beside the brake!!

I looked down and saw sparks and more smoke so quickly got it into park again and shut it down. The belt had slipped off because of age/stretch and when I put it into drive, it pulled the pulley over (sparks) and the belt was in the middle of the outside ridge on the pulley (smoke and lots of it!). Put the belt back on and carefully put it into drive and moved off no more problems.

I'm going to look at the belt and pulley tomorrow but I think it's fine. The belt is old and it's time to suck it up and get a new one. Another lesson learned - replace belts when loose! **** I hate school!!!!

·
16,487 Posts
Check the bearing in that tension pulley. It may be going out and
helped throw that belt off.

Was going to say the same thing as Teddy--also check the side to side play in that pully--that's where a little bearing play and a slightly bent bracket can screw you up...--and speaking from experience--replace with a gen-u-ine TORO drive belt...:thThumbsU

You'll sleep easier @ night....
glenn

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks Teddy and Glenn! There's so much slop in the belt that I think that's the problem. I checked the price of a new pulley from several places and the average price was $66 +/-. A high of $74.28 and a low of $59.30. Are the bearings replaceable? I have access to lots of small sealed bearings through my bicycle suppliers - problem is that most of the stuff is metric. Should I keep watch on ebay or just spring for a new one if needed?

Thanks

·
Oldbie
1,605 Posts
If Illinilefttackle chimes in here.... he did an autopsy on a tensioning
pulley and has pictures and everything. He indeed replaced the bearing
in the pulley.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
While waiting for my local dealer to open I bounced around and found some prices on the belt and pulley. Got hold of my dealer and the belt is $6 more (cheaper than with shipping) for OEM. The pulley I found for $10 and the dealer is getting $17. I'll go local and have the stuff today if needed with the option to return same day if wrong item.

The dealer did say that the bearings are probably going in the pulley and suggested replacing the pulley axle ($4.60) at the same time. I'll know more tomorrow after I get it opened up.

By the time I'm done, this thing will have had everything but new paint! That's coming as well! Thanks for the advice and I'll post results. I'll also take pics of the process if I really get into this.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Finished replacing all the big wires on the C-120 Auto and it now starts great! Also took the carb apart, sprayed cleaner through it, cleaned the bowl and it runs fine.

The C120-8 is still playing games but I've narrowed the inconsistent starting down to a shorting wire that's making contact with the lift lever in the up position. It starts fine with implements in the down position and makes no sound with equipment raised. I have the wires, now need the time.

This tractor also smokes pretty good, even with 30W. May be time for some Marvel Mystery Oil or something (something may be a rebuild!).

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
The mystery oil will make it smoke more not less as it losens up the rings that are worn out and all the crud around them
Try a 50 w oil its not going to hurt it

·
16,487 Posts
You--know--it's amazing what you guys up in N. England--Maine and Vt. have learned in a relatively short period of time about these "Horse's!!..and posted it on here!!:congrats:

Keep it up--and we want PICTURES!!

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hmmm - Oldandred that's good to know. I don't have any experience with the stuff. I did have an old Rambler Classic with a straight 6-banger - added STP to it :fing20: !! I could lay down a smokescreen that a destroyer would be proud of :biglaugh: !!

Thanks Glenn - I've enjoyed doing something different. The tractors have provided me with learning outside the normal scope of my experience. I just wish there was more information in print that I could come across for the motor and such.

I'm going to the library as I was told they have several Chilton's there on small engines including the K301. I've had experience with a Chilton's though and sometimes they are wrong! A motor job will be a big deal for me even though I worked on a Honda 350 engine years ago.

·
16,487 Posts
Dave--slow and easy with it--take pictures and drawings of everything--as you go..
If you think you might be a whilke in the 'doing" process--bag and tag individual parts in zip lock bags, and label..

It's invaluable..save--every bolt/washer/fastner/etc...

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I will Glenn - when I changed the clutch on my Datsun P/U I had a couple of bolts/washers left over. I took everything apart "again" and couldn't find where they went. Drove the truck 230K miles and changed the clutch once more with no leftover parts - wouldn't have happened if I'd had the capabiltiies we have today to take pictures. Recloseable pint and quart size bags make it nice as well.

Went out this morning to start the 312-8 and move dirt - click, click, and start. Ran it for an hour working and then took the wires off and brushed them down. Starts right up - we've had so much rain and high humidity this summer it's getting into everything. It takes me about 30 minutes to do a pretty nice job including taking the solenoid off and making sure the ground is good and clean.

I'm sure other New Englanders are running into the same thing if the equipment isn't run a lot. Sitting euqipment is an invitation for moisture to enter and corrosion to buildup. Ah well! Sun is shining so back outside!!

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
My day started out with the dentist and has gone steadily uphill. Went to the dealer and bought a new belt for the C120 Auto. Turns out the one I'm replacing is an aftermarket which is longer than the original. I'm going to pull it apart tomorrow and check everything out prior to installing the new one. Pictures will be taken - hmmmm, this new belt sure looks short!

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
dave have you put a belt on your fel ?? Im about to find out how much fun its going to be on the one arm fel and the other fel with the quick way on it darn tranny wouldnt pullit up on to the trailor last week so thats another job waiting along with all the other things around here
I'm never going to catch up

1 - 20 of 21 Posts