My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a series 2 and a series 4 LT16 tractor, both with working engines currently. I see that these engines are not available anymore so when these die beyond rebuilding, what can I put back on the LT16?

Small Engine Warehouse does not list a direct replacement so I'm thinking that some mods will have to be done on something but what?

I just hope that nothing bad happens to them for a while :praying:

·
The Magnificent
20,952 Posts
Welcome to the forum, Randy.

I suppose you might begin with profiling your current engines. Shaft length and diameter, mounting bolt pattern, overall length, width, and height.

Then you can do some research on compatible replacements.

·
Registered
179 Posts
I've got an old YT12 project tractor, same engine configuration as yours. I'm hoping the engine is savlageable.

The issue is that you have an output shaft on the PTO side as well as the flywheel side, and I don't know of any other engines that had this. One solution would be to get a horizontal shaft replacement engine, mount it so the shaft goes to the rear axle, and use the tractor for yard work without a mower deck. That's all I can think of.

·
Retired Aug.31 2007
7,473 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Glad to have you.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've got an old YT12 project tractor, same engine configuration as yours. I'm hoping the engine is savlageable.

The issue is that you have an output shaft on the PTO side as well as the flywheel side, and I don't know of any other engines that had this. One solution would be to get a horizontal shaft replacement engine, mount it so the shaft goes to the rear axle, and use the tractor for yard work without a mower deck. That's all I can think of.
As long as the block is ok, everything else part wise should still be available. I have gone that route as well, found a parts tractor that the engine, 18hp, had a broken connecting rod but the block was in good shape. I rebuilt it and it is happily motoring around the yard on LT 16 #1. :bannana:

LT 16 #2 needs the engine rebuilt, has impressive ridge around top of cylinder wall from wear and if it's tilted right while running, becomes great mosquito killer. :229: :sterb003:

What I was getting at asking the question that I asked to start this, I know eventually that I am going to have to find some other engine to go in place of the briggs and was asking if anybody else had converted over to something else and how did they did it? It is a shame that briggs didn't come out with a replacement to that engine, come to think of it, it's a shame that the EPA killed it to begin with. :1106:

Oh and thanks for the welcome. This forum looks very interesting :thanku:

·
Senior MTF Poster
13,076 Posts
"The issue is that you have an output shaft on the PTO side as well as the flywheel side, and I don't know of any other engines that had this."

That output on the flywheel side is simply an adapter that bolted onto the flywheel, should be able to use that one or improvise one.

Walt Conner

·
Registered
185 Posts
Im sure you could find a replacement/adapt one easily enough. I have an LT16 also (just got it for free), and it looks like you could basically just drop in another 16hp ish horizontal engine fairly easily. However, if your treat your engines good, change the oil regularly, and clean the airfilter often, it should last you many years before you even have to replace the rings.

·
Registered
179 Posts
I found a rebuild kit on psep.biz for the B&S on my LT12. It goes for about $125 and includes piston, rings, gasket kit, & valves. They have standard, 010 and 020 oversiuze bore kits. I didn't buy it yet but I might, depending on how mine runs when I get it going.

If the block & heads are salvageable, you can basically build yourself a brand new engine. You could always put new rods in it just to be sure, but I don't know if these engines had a bad rep for throwing rods. After all, this isn't Tecumseh we're talking about.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts