My Tractor Forum banner

tweel tires

5159 Views 37 Replies 28 Participants Last post by  PA318Guy
how many forum members have tweel tires installed on their machines? they are expensive but if you never have to worry about a flat and are durable it may be a good investment.
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct...tweel/&usg=AFQjCNG8lFDAett07-xGlQInUz8izuwgqg
1 - 20 of 38 Posts
I'm guessing that number may be somewhere in the neighborhood of zero...

Andreas
The problem is that you could get 9 or 10 sets of regular turf tires for that price. I would guess those 9 sets would out last these tires.
how many forum members have tweel tires installed on their machines? they are expensive but if you never have to worry about a flat and are durable it may be a good investment.
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct...tweel/&usg=AFQjCNG8lFDAett07-xGlQInUz8izuwgqg
They look like something only the Military or Government could afford.
My Deere dealer has a JD zero turn with the tweels that they take to the county fair and home improvement shows. Does that mean they can't sell it? I never asked what the price difference was vs the regular tires.
Makes about as much sense as the Vega aluminum bores idea. Good in theory, bad in real life.
50% of the the benefit from Tweels is the smoother ride they give over pneumatic tires, we have sold several new movers with them in the last year and customers have been satisfied so far. The hours commercial guys spend in the seat is where the difference is noticed. I could not see a homeowner justifying spending the money on Tweels unless he just wants to show of to the neighbors Lol.
Or you were tired of walking out to the barn to find flat tires.

I do not see holes to mount wheel weights.
How would you keep chains on them?
Where would you put the Beet Juice?

Only because of this thread did I know what they were when a trailer with 2 x JD ZT's on it pulled up next to me at a stop light today.
Both of them had these, and they looked different for sure.
I agree the Tweel tires could be a nice option for ZT- not sure how useful they would be on a garden tractor, if you snow blow, plow, till where weight is your friend.
I was at my local Canadian tire and the new stock of Toro walk behind snow blowers had tires like that on them! I can't find info online but the blowers weren't anymore expensive.
they are experimenting with tweel car tires and have a noise and heat problem for high speed. a buddy had them delivered for $800 to install on z557. he is in a position that if wants it, interests him or just wants to try them he buys some. he doesn't mow for a living and still working at 80. life is too short and can't take $ with you.
Just looking for a reason........ cost of rubber going up ?........cost of plastic going down ? ..... maybe a new use for recycled plastic water bottles ? ........already too many old tires in the tire dumps ?
Michelin wanting to re invent the wheel again.. Not Surprising that JD wanted to sell them.
Suppose they come only in turf tread?
Tire and wheel come one piece turf tread unless you have 8 bolt skid steer hubs. A GT option not likely.
The main advantage I see in these is not losing downtime if you get a flat.

Thing of it is, the kind of terrain where that makes sense is not where you would use a turf tread (rocks in the desert, for example).
I've seen them in construction applications on skid steers and such. The main thing in those applications is not having to worry about a flat. In demolition and other construction sites there are a lot of tire hazards and you can only use tracked equipment but the tweel could change that. Trouble with a lot of steel tracked machines is that you are really limited in mobility....can't even run across a paved parking lot or road real quick without tearing the pavement up.
Commercial mowing. If you have a full schedule, any downtime is money lost... never to be seen again. Lower maintenance too... if your guys never have to check tire pressure, it's 15 minutes out of every day they can be mowing instead of maintaining, and you don't have to worry about uneven cut from a tire that goes low while mowing.

Probably increases resale of the machine you're trading in after year 2 of service as well.
Just looking for a reason........ cost of rubber going up ?........cost of plastic going down ? ..... maybe a new use for recycled plastic water bottles ? ........already too many old tires in the tire dumps ?
Could be Moondawg, maybe those factors come into play in the commercial mowing world.

In 40 yrs of mowing (my own place) 4 hrs a week in summer and 8 hrs a week in the spring, I can't ever remember having a flat. But then I'm not running on commercial parking lots with careless peoples droppings either. Roofing nails and aluminum siding clippings could be a real factor close to buildings too.

So what hppens when one or two "vanes" fail ? Repairable ? Slip a new one in beside and pop rivet in place ?

Anybody seen cost figures for a replacement drive ...errrr.... tire? :tango_face_smile:

EDIT: Just checked myself...... $1099 USD a pair for 24x12x12.

Wonder it there is a snow tire option for us Cdn's.:tango_face_devil:
Commercial mowing. If you have a full schedule, any downtime is money lost... never to be seen again. Lower maintenance too... if your guys never have to check tire pressure, it's 15 minutes out of every day they can be mowing instead of maintaining, and you don't have to worry about uneven cut from a tire that goes low while mowing.

Probably increases resale of the machine you're trading in after year 2 of service as well.
Agreed. I see a lot of them on commercial mowing equipment around here. Like so many other things, there's a correct application and incorrect application. Golf carts, commercial mowers, ag industries, recycling/landfill sites, construction, atvs, anywhere that downtime for tire maintenance or flats needs to be eliminated or minimized. They also have a significantly improved ride for anything that does not have a suspension system.

Will they ever replace or supplement air filled automotive or trucking tires? Not yet, but anything is possible and I certainly would not discount the idea for the future. Some of the current testing shows that they perform better than conventional air filled tires, and can be designed to shed water better than conventional air filled tires.

So what hppens when one or two "vanes" fail ?
Nothing. They'll run just fine on low speed equipment with several spokes damaged or missing. They also shed snow or mud better than conventional tire/wheel setups.
1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.