My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well pics will be coming soon, but I was growing increasingly frustrated with my 25cc Homelite Weedeater (its about 8-9 years old) as I have a bit heavier growth around the edge of our woods and fence and I was having trouble getting through this stuff. Knee high (after a week) weeds, and other cabbage would choke it out no matter how little chops at it I took.

Enough-as my dad used to say-time to take you to the gym boy...give you some muscle!! I reemed out the head a bit and went to .095 Echo Oct line-may go even bigger now that it has the torque. Then I drilled the muffler out-it had 3 small 1/4 inch holes for the exhaust. So I took off the muffler cleaned the exhaust port a bit and added 3 more 1/4 inch holes to the muffler, opened the muffler exit shroud WAY up and tossed the restrictive spark screen.

The carb was a non-adjustable plastic coated block for the Hi and Low speed mixture adjustments. Took some snips and off came the plastic. The guy that tuned this from the factory (I know for emissions they are limited) but it never "RAN" strong. Just kinda puttered and choked and puttered and choked.

I gave both a 1/10" of a turn counterclockwise to richen it up...and gave it a few pulls. IS THAT 25cc !!!! It BURBLES much deeper now...deeper richer and boy does it rip!! WHHHHISSSSHHHHHHHH.. I went to full throttle and tweaked the adjustments at full throttle and while accelerating it and ended up about 1/12" or so counterclockwise on low speed-it accelerates like a street bike and about 1/16" counterclockwise on the high speed and it is clean and sweet. Like a different machine.

Went to the cabbage.....and massacred that stuff.. the little 25cc nut case didn't even blink. New line and a big bunch of torque whistled through the mid calf high cabbage spraying stuff everywhere but never dropping rpms or choking out on the exact same stuff I did all summer. Great exhaust note too...neighbor yells over "NEW 'Eater"...."Nope I tweaked the old one". He goes "UH...OH...I'll be over in a minute...(he likes my work)" ;)

Lovin it..!! :thThumbsU

·
Castor Freak
2,167 Posts
Sure is fun modding isn't it? You gave that little 25cc weedeater a heck of a tune there if it made that much of a difference. If I had them EPA fuel/air mixture caps in my hand they would get a stern look and a few choice words from me! :ROF Good to hear it's whacking the weeds like a new machine.

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sure is fun modding isn't it? You gave that little 25cc weedeater a heck of a tune there if it made that much of a difference. If I had them EPA fuel/air mixture caps in my hand they would get a stern look and a few choice words from me! :ROF Good to hear it's whacking the weeds like a new machine.
I think it was the tune and opening up the muffler..>ALOT>.

I did the same thing to the 26 cc Leaf blower (also a 8-9 year old Homelite).....always had to run it on half choke to get full air speed. NOT anymore !!! When you turn it to the rabbit, it definitely is the rabbit !!!

Its shocking how dumbied down the tunes are for emissions.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts