My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a J40 deck and want to turn it into a mulching deck....can i just cover the exit on the deck and call it a day OR is there more involved for a mulching deck....

·
Banned
2 Posts
I have a J40 deck and want to turn it into a mulching deck....can i just cover the exit on the deck and call it a day OR is there more involved for a mulching deck....

there are blades that are made to cut the grass twice ...Covering the exit will cause the deck to plug up if the grass is to long or damp and in same cases stall the mower or cause the belt to flip off

·
Banned
1,500 Posts
there are blades that are made to cut the grass twice ...Covering the exit will cause the deck to plug up if the grass is to long or damp and in same cases stall the mower or cause the belt to flip off

It is true that for some brands of tractors, mulching blades are available but not for this brand any longer. Gator did make some blades for the 44" letter decks ONLY but dropped them from production. There a few NOS sets still in existence but when they are gone...it's all over. The OP's deck is 38".

For sure, this forum is all about helping each other but your post is misleading because you are sending the OP on a wild goose chase unless YOU personally have discovered a source of blades that others on this forum are totally unaware of.

If you actually know of such blades, then provide the link in your reply post. I'm not trying to be difficult here but if you are intent on disseminating information, then that information should be FACTUAL.

The OP should contact member bhildret on this issue. Ingersoll does make a mulching kit for the RM decks but it may be adaptable to the letter decks. Brian posted something on this ages ago but I don't recall all the details so it's much better to get it straight from him.

·
Banned
2 Posts
It is true that for some brands of tractors, mulching blades are available but not for this brand any longer. Gator did make some blades for the 44" letter decks ONLY but dropped them from production. There a few NOS sets still in existence but when they are gone...it's all over. The OP's deck is 38".

For sure, this forum is all about helping each other but your post is misleading because you are sending the OP on a wild goose chase unless YOU personally have discovered a source of blades that others on this forum are totally unaware of.

If you actually know of such blades, then provide the link in your reply post. I'm not trying to be difficult here but if you are intent on disseminating information, then that information should be FACTUAL.

The OP should contact member bhildret on this issue. Ingersoll does make a mulching kit for the RM decks but it may be adaptable to the letter decks. Brian posted something on this ages ago but I don't recall all the details so it's much better to get it straight from him.

I bought some from Canadian tire here not more then a year ago (After market) and they where a universal fit .These were not made by gator ether .. i cant pull up the link for them because you have to call in...Sorry if my reply miss led the OP ..All i know is i had gotten a set for one of my clients last year...

·
Registered
790 Posts
Slkpk and others have had a very active discussion regarding a different type of mower blade at the following link http://www.mytractorforum.com/showthread.php?t=52964. Slkpk has supplied a lot of good information there.

While the blade system described on that thread is not technically mulching blades it does sound that they dramatically reduce the size and amount of grass clippings discharged thereby reducing the windrow effect when mowing long thick grass. Since I believe most people are mostly concerned about the windrowing, perhaps these Meg-mo blades would be a good solution for you. Read through the thread and see what you think. I am seriously considering purchasing a set for my 448 this winter.

JN

·
Banned
1,500 Posts
I bought some from Canadian tire here not more then a year ago (After market) and they where a universal fit .These were not made by gator ether .. i cant pull up the link for them because you have to call in...Sorry if my reply miss led the OP ..All i know is i had gotten a set for one of my clients last year...
The blades used on Case decks are pretty unique so I'm guessing that the blades you bought were for a different brand of tractor. Just so you know, I Googled this Canadian Tire company and then called their customer service. The lady I spoke with told me that at one point they did handle Gator blades but no longer. I asked if she could find a reference for another brand of mulching blade and the answer was no.....nothing current.

This is not to say that this chain did not have some sort of mulching blade in stock when you went there.

I also called Gator directly to determine what the latest status is on blades. The lady I spoke to confirmed what I already knew. Gator did make blades for the model 44 and 45 decks at one time. There are still a few sets sitting on there shelves but when those are gone...that's it. They never made blades for the 38", 48" and 60" decks nor for any of the newer RM right-hand discharge decks and they have no intentions of doing so.

Gator is focusing on blades for the high-production models in order to get rapid product turnover. Who can blame them? They won't get rapid turnover with blades for Case or Ingersoll tractors.

As for the Meg-Mo system, it's pricey. I haven't heard enough feedback to comment further. I suggested talking to Brian in a prior post and I'm still on that wagon.

·
Banned
2 Posts
The blades used on Case decks are pretty unique so I'm guessing that the blades you bought were for a different brand of tractor. Just so you know, I Googled this Canadian Tire company and then called their customer service. The lady I spoke with told me that at one point they did handle Gator blades but no longer. I asked if she could find a reference for another brand of mulching blade and the answer was no.....nothing current.

This is not to say that this chain did not have some sort of mulching blade in stock when you went there.

I also called Gator directly to determine what the latest status is on blades. The lady I spoke to confirmed what I already knew. Gator did make blades for the model 44 and 45 decks at one time. There are still a few sets sitting on there shelves but when those are gone...that's it. They never made blades for the 38", 48" and 60" decks nor for any of the newer RM right-hand discharge decks and they have no intentions of doing so.

Gator is focusing on blades for the high-production models in order to get rapid product turnover. Who can blame them? They won't get rapid turnover with blades for Case or Ingersoll tractors.

As for the Meg-Mo system, it's pricey. I haven't heard enough feedback to comment further. I suggested talking to Brian in a prior post and I'm still on that wagon.

glad you looked into it as i was under the impression you could get them ..not sure why or how i got a set ...For all i know they could have been off another tractor but i do know they fit .And they where not made by Gator ..With all the BS with all these different company's selling stuff and changing what they sell every day and changing suppliers its hard to keep up with them one day you can get stuff next you cant ..I wish i could remember the name of them and the brand i do know they where cheap and i will be honest they looked it to ....To The op read the other thread you might find what you are looking for sorry i was under the impression that you could get them for your mower ..I did look on line and cant find them ether as castoff stated

·
Banned
1,500 Posts
So ...... what are you telling me here? Were these blades for a Case deck and if so what model of tractor and what size of deck?

·
Banned
2 Posts
So ...... what are you telling me here? Were these blades for a Case deck and if so what model of tractor and what size of deck?

read my above post o.k not going to debate with you anymore ..NO point in beating a dead horse ...You confirmed you cant get them and then i also looked as well ..Like you said they could have been off another tractor Not sure .but they did fit why i have no clue .it was 38 inch deck cant remember the model tho and the and the repair invoice is in with last years stuff..If they where by chance off another tractor then they would not be stock or a OEM replacement part for them and why carry it on ...For all i know one of there techs in the small engine shop/parts found out some blades may fit by test fitting them to see what would fit and i got lucky who knows

·
A semi-retired senior cit
2,132 Posts
If his mower deck was a 44" this supplier has them listed, it is Gator #91-922.
link to page and price.
http://www.mowtownusa.com/m5_view_item.html?m5:code=91-922

They do have a blade listed for the 38" left hand cut mower deck it a standard blade, not sure if it`s an Oregon blade have has a part #310-755 maybe a Stens product.
link to page & price.
http://www.mowtownusa.com/m5_view_item.html?m5:code=310-755

Simplicity also has some left hand cut mower blades and there maybe a Gator mulching blade that would work if it was the right length and only need the mounting hole drilled out to the Case size.

I installed a re-cycler option on a 44" Toro commercial mower once and there were blades and a heavy sheet metal piece that surrounded and enclosed the mower blades in the front, the back was already built into the deck. It worked fine if you mowed your lawn every 4 or 5 days and didn't mind going really slow, if you went to fast you`d have a trail of grass clumps following you. I removed it faster then, when it went on. A $150.00 waste of money.

·
Banned
2 Posts
If his mower deck was a 44" this supplier has them listed, it is Gator #91-922.
link to page and price.
http://www.mowtownusa.com/m5_view_item.html?m5:code=91-922

They do have a blade listed for the 38" left hand cut mower deck it a standard blade, not sure if it`s an Oregon blade have has a part #310-755 maybe a Stens product.
link to page & price.
http://www.mowtownusa.com/m5_view_item.html?m5:code=310-755

Simplicity also has some left hand cut mower blades and there maybe a Gator mulching blade that would work if it was the right length and only need the mounting hole drilled out to the Case size.

I installed a re-cycler option on a 44" Toro commercial mower once and there were blades and a heavy sheet metal piece that surrounded and enclosed the mower blades in the front, the back was already built into the deck. It worked fine if you mowed your lawn every 4 or 5 days and didn't mind going really slow, if you went to fast you`d have a trail of grass clumps following you. I removed it faster then, when it went on. A $150.00 waste of money.

ty for the post thats good to know now maybe cast will get off my XXX didnt think i was nuts or brain dead

·
Banned
1,500 Posts
ty for the post thats good to know now maybe cast will get off my XXX didnt think i was nuts or brain dead
Why are you getting so testy? You are the one who came on here and told this forum that mulching blades were available for CASE J-40 decks. All I've done is to follow up on your claim. If there is a maker of mulching blades out there, then I want to know who it is, what they make, how much they cost and where they can be bought.

So tell me, how is THAT getting on your ***? All I asked is for you to confirm the make and model of the tractor. You haven't even done that. How come? Is it because you can't answer the question?

You tell me. I'd like to know.

·
Banned
2 Posts
Why are you getting so testy? You are the one who came on here and told this forum that mulching blades were available for CASE J-40 decks. All I've done is to follow up on your claim. If there is a maker of mulching blades out there, then I want to know who it is, what they make, how much they cost and where they can be bought.

So tell me, how is THAT getting on your ***? All I asked is for you to confirm the make and model of the tractor. You haven't even done that. How come? Is it because you can't answer the question?

roughrider Re: Turning my deck into a mulching deck...possible??
Quote:
Originally Posted by castoff

read my above post o.k not going to debate with you anymore ..NO point in beating a dead horse ...You confirmed you cant get them and then i also looked as well ..Like you said they could have been off another tractor Not sure .but they did fit why i have no clue .it was a 38 inch deck cant remember the model # tho and the repair invoice is in with last years stuff..If they where by chance off another tractor then they would not be stock or a OEM replacement part for them and why carry it on ...For all i know one of there techs in the small engine shop/parts found out some blades may fit by test fitting them to see what would fit and i got lucky who knows

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Lol, every time i start a thread, someone always gets mad! Thanks for the input guys, i might actually be trading for 48" deck.....any options for that or just in general there are no options for case?

Also is there a difference in blades with having a left exit on the deck? Just wondering b/c the way case decks are setup its pretty easy to make almost any blade fit...

·
Ingersoll Dealer
2,552 Posts
The Ingersoll RM series mulching kit works great. However, only the concept is applicable to the older decks. Good fabrication skills could get you 1/2 of that solution.

Basically the baffles create a cylinder around each blade so nothing escapes ... except downward. Tricky and tight geometry, since the blades overlap with a slight offset fore/aft.

What I don't think you'll find anwhere is a high loft, double cutting blade for a J deck, which leaves only maybe 1/2 the effectiveness for mulching.

If you simply plug the outlet, it can be pretty effective in dry leaves, but in my experience will merely clump and dump wet leaves and fresh grass. Also, large quantities of leaves take a fair amount of horsepower when mulching ... but I do that on occasion with a 16hp Onan or 23 HP Vanguard before then going back over it with a hydravac. If you have a 220 or 222, it would be pretty taxing on that engine.

Brian

·
Banned
2 Posts
Lol, every time i start a thread, someone always gets mad! Thanks for the input guys, i might actually be trading for 48" deck.....any options for that or just in general there are no options for case?

Also is there a difference in blades with having a left exit on the deck? Just wondering b/c the way case decks are setup its pretty easy to make almost any blade fit...

that would be your best bet and buy all the mulching blades you can get before there gone to

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The Ingersoll RM series mulching kit works great. However, only the concept is applicable to the older decks. Good fabrication skills could get you 1/2 of that solution.

Basically the baffles create a cylinder around each blade so nothing escapes ... except downward. Tricky and tight geometry, since the blades overlap with a slight offset fore/aft.

What I don't think you'll find anwhere is a high loft, double cutting blade for a J deck, which leaves only maybe 1/2 the effectiveness for mulching.

If you simply plug the outlet, it can be pretty effective in dry leaves, but in my experience will merely clump and dump wet leaves and fresh grass. Also, large quantities of leaves take a fair amount of horsepower when mulching ... but I do that on occasion with a 16hp Onan or 23 HP Vanguard before then going back over it with a hydravac. If you have a 220 or 222, it would be pretty taxing on that engine.

Brian
"Ingersoll RM series mulching kit" how much is it and what is all included, do you have any picture how it works on the older decks?

·
Banned
1,500 Posts

read my above post o.k not going to debate with you anymore ..NO point in beating a dead horse ...You confirmed you cant get them and then i also looked as well ..Like you said they could have been off another tractor Not sure .but they did fit why i have no clue .it was a 38 inch deck cant remember the model # tho and the repair invoice is in with last years stuff..If they where by chance off another tractor then they would not be stock or a OEM replacement part for them and why carry it on ...For all i know one of there techs in the small engine shop/parts found out some blades may fit by test fitting them to see what would fit and i got lucky who knows

Based on the tone of your above post, you are still angry and I can't figure out why. I have asked you several times if you those blades were put on a Case tractor and if so, what was the model of the tractor? And in every answer so far, you have failed to answer such simple questions. This isn't a debate. At least not yet it isn't.

Now you are going on about a "tech in the small engine shop" and yet you told us that you bought these blades at a store called Canadian Tire. So, I made a long distance call to several of those stores listed on their website and not one of them told me that they have a "small engine shop". In fact, all of them told me that they don't know of Canadian Tire having any store with a small engine shop. Is this why you are getting angry?

I'm just asking. You are the one who's making statements but they are apparently not factual. Now if I'm wrong, then please give me the location of this store with the small engine shop because one of the other store managers asked me to get back to him on it.

·
Banned
1,500 Posts

Case is one of the very few brands that use a left discharge deck. As such, the blades are totally different from the ones for right discharge decks. That's why I was asking RoughRider the questions. Secondly the hole mounting are unique to the Case spindles. The center hole is very large and the bolt spacing is pretty unusual too. Blades are made from hardened steel. You don't modify them all that easily after the hardening process has taken place.

The RM decks use a much different setup for the spindles and blades. The blades and spindles are not interchangeable. There are no mulching blades for the 48" deck but if you order the blades for 44" deck and then buy a 44" deck, then you will get what you want. A deck with mulching blades....until they wear out and then you're back to where you are today. :sorry1:

1 - 20 of 45 Posts