My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am confused how JD measures and publishes these numbers.

Take the X500 with a 48" deck for example:
Turning radius: 22"
Uncut circle radius: 27"

1. Does radius actually mean geometric radius (i.e. half the diameter), or do they mean diameter? I.e. would the X500 above leave a 27" or a 27x2=54" uncut circle of grass if you drive around in a circle?

"Turning radius" for a car actually is "turning circle", i.e. diameter. I've seen mixed comments about this. For example, in this thread, the owner says his X324 leaves a 9" diameter uncut circle of grass, despite the JD specs saying the uncut circle radius is 9".

http://www.mytractorforum.com/showthread.php?t=44351

2. Regardless, how can the uncut circle radius be larger than the turning radius? If the deck protrudes out the sides, it should be less, no? How does JD measure turning radius?

·
Registered
132 Posts
The deck is in front of the rear tires and the rear tires do the smallest radius/diameter. So the deck cut radius/diameter would be bigger.

As far as JD, 22" radius sounds much better than 44"diameter. Its all about marketing/sales pitch.

·
Registered
9 Posts
The neat feature about the x324 with 4 wheel steer is cutting tight around tree's. I spray a little Roundup around my tree's and seldom use a wacker.

·
MTF Tractor Nut
4,309 Posts
I think you're making too big of a deal out of this... The X500s turn pretty tight and cut reasonably close with a 48" deck (and even closer with the 54"). The X300s do seem to turn just a bit tighter though. You can always get a X324 or X534 if turning radius is that important to you. Go test drive a few machines and see what you can drive around.

·
Registered
841 Posts
Turning radius us measured at the rear tire. Take a piece of chalk on a stick and hold it right beside the tire where it contacts the ground - then drive in as tight a circle you can. The circle you just made with the chalk is the diameter..../2 = radius.

Uncut circle is what the deck leaves when you make a circle. AWS doesn't reduce the radius, but does reduce the uncut circle tremendously. You sort of have to see it in action.

Sent from the MTF Free App

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
This is an interesting question, I've always assumed radius meant radius, not diameter.
I need to mow my grass tomorrow, I'm going to check the uncut circle radius of my X304 and compare it to JD's spec's. Then I'll know, and I'll report back here.

The real problem here, is that all the different mfgs use different measurements. It's OK to compare a D110, to an X300, to an X304, to an X500, the real problem is comparing a JD, to a Simplicity, to a Cub Cadet, to a Husqvarna, to a Kubota. The OPEI should develope a standard that all mfg measure against.

steve

·
Registered
9 Posts
I was also confused about this when I was looking to purchase last year. I took an 18" dia. drum(tree) to the dealership, set it up in their parking lot and tried a simulated cut around it. I was surprised to find out the 2ws JDs and Cadets didn't even come close with a 42" deck, which I needed, so a deal breaker for me. Maybe bigger decks are different? Don't know. I think the JD's advertized an 18" turn diameter? and the Cadets 12", Sears 8", which I believe is the rear wheel track. If you have big dia. trees or plan to wack anyway, not a big deal.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
I just checked my X304, it leaves a 40" dia. turning circle inside of the rear wheels, it's real easy to see in the grass. That's a 20" radius. With the deck on, I leave a 32" uncut circle dia., or 16" radius uncut circle, exactly what JD says in their spec.

For contrast I tried my WH312-8/42"deck, it leaves a 40" turning radius circle, and a 36" radius uncut circle. It drives like a tank.

steve

·
OLD TIRED CDN. MECHANIC
9,012 Posts
It is kind of like the reason women can't parallel park. We have spent years convincing them what 9" is and so they hit the curb every time.:sidelaugh

1 - 10 of 10 Posts