My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
I Love All Color Tractors
22,321 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On my way to work this morning, I turned over 295,000 miles on my 1997 Ford Ranger. This truck has the 5 speed automatic transmission and the 4.0L engine.

The only major repair that I have had to make to the engine was replace the heads. I cracked one of them at about 225,000 miles. It cracked right between the valves on the number one cylinder under normal driving. When this happeded, I decided not to mess around with it and just ordered two new heads. I also replaced the water pump and fan clutch while I had it apart.

The only other things that I have done to the truck is some rear end work. It came equipped with the limited slip rear end that became a limited slop rear end over time. I decided to work on that when I discovered that one of my spring shackles had rusted in two.

A friend's FIL has a parts yard. He had another Ranger that had been totaled with about 20,000 miles on and it had the same rear axle. We struck up a deal and I just got the entire axle from him.

Just to make things simple, I pulled the bed off of the truck and disassembled the rear. I replaced the spring hangers, spring shackles, rear axle, rear universal joint, added two leaf springs to each side for increased load capacity, and changed the stock spare tire carrier to one of the "cable winch" style carriers off of a Toyota pickup.

I don't have that much money in the truck at all and I have changed the oil every 3000 to 4000 miles. I use the Fram High Mileage filters and Mobile 5000 10w-30 conventional engine oil.

Sorry for the dirt in the photo. I haven't had a chance to clean the cab lately. Too much tractor work to do right now. :ROF

·
Retired Aug.31 2007
7,473 Posts
Hey that is amazing. Are you shooing for the million mile mark? Good maintenance goes a long way to keeping them running.

·
Machinery enthusiast
4,257 Posts
Congrats. Thats beau-coup miles :D
I've had 2 Rangers over the course of my truck ownership. The 85 longbed had the 2.8 V6 2wd and altho it's solid lifters made it louder than I liked, it was a good truck. Sold it to my brother.

The 88 had the 3.0 5sp & 4wd and I really liked that truck. No doubt it would have lasted along time. I put 100k on it then traded for the F150 I have now. As an everyday driver I really liked that 88 Ranger. :D

·
Premium Member
8,051 Posts
That's awesome. Another reason why I say synthetic oil is not necessarily better that dino oil.
I run conventional 15w40 too in my '90VW diesel, it only has 218,000 though.

I wish you anoth 200K.

MU

·
I Love All Color Tractors
22,321 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks fellas.

Smitty, right now I am just shooting for the 500,000 mile mark. I don't baby the truck, although I do drive like I have some sense. I heat with wood, so it hauls in about 6 chords of oak, hickory, locust, etc. every spring/summer. I also tow a 24' Sunlite camper with it. I bought it to get me to and from work, and also as a work truck.

Volfandt, I love this truck. It is 4wd and I wish it were a 5 sp. I just have that gut feeling that the auto will go before the engine.

Munderhill, 218,000 miles is almost broken in on that VW. Those are/were some of the toughest consumer engines ever built in my opinion. I would be willing to bet that you will see at least 500,000 before any problems.

Ken, including the repairs that I listed, I have a total of less than $7000 in the truck, not including oil changes and filters. So far, rust is not a problem, even here in the mountains of WV.

I forgot to mention that I run a K&N air filter. I am shooting for trying out the 1,000,000 mile guarantee! :thThumbsU

·
Registered
263 Posts
nice, our 91 exploder has 245,XXX miles. and the body is going to fall apart beafor the engine go's. it just has 1 problem, the lifters tick, but every explorer i have heard with the 4.0 have a tick, oh and the muffler is almost gone, but it sounds good, and thats a plus.

just a month ago i had to pull out "infront" of some trafic on the highway( about 1/2 mile away. I had that thing spun up to 4000rpm befor it shifted into 2nd. and it runs great too.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts