My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Back in the 50's and 60's turning the miles back on a car was a major concern as you where buying a used car. Now in 2009 I have a question. I bought a realy nice 1978 JD 850 that runs like a charm with 990 hours on it. While looking though the operators manual I found great maintance records until 1999 when the 850 had 911 hours on it. Rather then confront the seller at this point I am wondering how the tractor went 9 years with only 80 hours or was the hour meter turned back. I know the seller is very knowledgeable with tractors, seemed like a honest young man.

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
Did he have other tractors that he may have been using instead of the 850?

·
The Magnificent
20,952 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

It is entirely possible the tractor sat for several years. We've heard of hundreds of them.

It is also possible the meter was disconnected, either accidentally or intentionally.

The meter could be broken - did you verify it advances?

The meter could have been replaced. Some people will replace a meter if they rebuild an engine. Maybe not the most ethical thing to do but it happens.

Before you indict the seller, how long did he own it? Did he buy it, getting it running and sell it? Possibly never looking at the meter?

Should you worry? At 31 years old, age is as much a factor as hours.

Does it run well, and did you pay a decent price?

·
I Love All Color Tractors
22,321 Posts
I don't know that I would worry too much. I have an 88 model 950 with just under 1600 hours on it. My tractor does sit a lot. I have put only 500 hours on it since 1992, but I have gotten a lot of work out of for those 500 hours.

I say look it over good and run it. Take it somewhat easy on it to begin with until you get the feel of the machine and get to know it quirks. Believe me, there will be a few.

After you get to know it and have not found anything wrong, start to test it a little every now and then.

I'll bet you will find that it is just fine and did indeed just sit a lot.

Good luck and let us know what you find.

By the way :wwp: :wwp:

·
Registered
643 Posts
He may have had to replace the clock/meter. I did this on my Kubota 4-5 years ago. In my case the original clock had 800 hours on it. Now the replacement clock shows about 750 hrs. Total 1550 hrs on my Kubota.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts