My Tractor Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about Tractors? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im currentlt using turf tires 8x16. My propert is very hilly and its all clay. I constantly spin and tear up my lawn and thats gettin old. So Im not sure if I should go with chains or put lug tires on her. Any ideas would be appreciated.

·
The Magnificent
20,952 Posts
8x16? Which model tractor do you have?

Sounds as if you may want to try adding RV anti-freeze to the tires for soem free weight, and give the chains a shot if you already have a set.

·
Registered
989 Posts
I used to get stuck in my relatively flat yard yard with 23x10.5-12 turfs. I added chains and weights and never got stuck again. My yard is heavy clay and has been historically damp 9 months or more out of the year.

I don't have experience with mowing big hills though.

·
Deceased Member
2,027 Posts
I'd recommend Rim Guard instead of RV antifreeze. It weighs 11# gal vs 8# for the anti-freeze, and with smaller tires like that the 3# extra per gal will make a difference.

The JD dealer that did the tires for my Bolens 1886 only charged something like 3.60 a gal for the Rim Guard, and that included installation. My 26-12-12s hold 10 gal each, so it added a good amount of weight.

As for turfs vs Ags, I'd recommend that you look at some ATV tires. There are a LOT of options for how 'aggressive' a tire you can get. I went with a pretty aggressive tread by going with CST ANCLA tires, but I wanted that for the 1886 as it has a FEL, and I'll be working in some fairly soft ground with it.

You could also investigate some of the HDAP tires. They are basically aggressive turfs.

·
The Magnificent
20,952 Posts
I'd recommend Rim Guard instead of RV antifreeze. It weighs 11# gal vs 8# for the anti-freeze, and with smaller tires like that the 3# extra per gal will make a difference.

The JD dealer that did the tires for my Bolens 1886 only charged something like 3.60 a gal for the Rim Guard, and that included installation. My 26-12-12s hold 10 gal each, so it added a good amount of weight.

As for turfs vs Ags, I'd recommend that you look at some ATV tires. There are a LOT of options for how 'aggressive' a tire you can get. I went with a pretty aggressive tread by going with CST ANCLA tires, but I wanted that for the 1886 as it has a FEL, and I'll be working in some fairly soft ground with it.

You could also investigate some of the HDAP tires. They are basically aggressive turfs.
The reason I usually recommend RV anti-freeze is that it's a cheap experiment, and if it turns out you need new tires as well, you're not out too much dough. If I had a RimGaurd dealer closer to me, sure, that's what I would use.

With the PK, he's a little more limited on tire choices. I don't believe I've seen an ATV tire for a 16 inch rim. There are of course plenty of Ag lugs, and he could investigate a light truck mud tire.

·
Premium Member
3,479 Posts
Also front wheel weights off many farm tractors will fit that 16" rim a couple sets on each wheel would help alot,for me I'd rather use weights than fluid because 1)easier to use 2)You don't loose them when the tire goes flat 3)Much easier to fix a flat tire.

·
Shop = My Therapy
3,157 Posts
I'd go with AG's, it sounds like you are tearing up your yard quite a bit. AG's may a liitle, but not much. I also like the idea of some truck tires. Get a set of used BF Goodrich All Terrain T/A's. They would work great and not do much damage. But if looks matter - go with AG's.

·
The Magnificent
20,952 Posts
I would consider an aggresive 16" auto tire, but other then the 16 inch part what size (s) can I use. By the way, I never thought of this
If your stick tire is an 8x16, then I would guess your rims are 6x16, or 6.5x16. What is going to mess with you is overall height. Your stock tire should be approx 32" tall mounted. The most common sized mud tire which is 32" tall is a 32x11.50-16. That is going to look quite ballooned on your narrow rims. I suppose you could change rims, but that just complicates the situation.

Millertire does have an 8x16 field and road Ag tire which doesn't have super deep cleats, and might be alright on your lawn.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.