My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Just thought I would ask, what do you like better a turf tire ( R3 ) or the more industrial R4 tire. I was under
the assumption that the R4 is better in snow while clearing with a plow or snowblower.

What is your preference ? and or experience with any of these tires ?

Thanks ! 馃榾

Super Moderator
Turf with chains, if you aren't going to run chains then the R-4 but you won't like your backing up ability! Best without chains is HDAP's, they are really good in snow.

Registered
I wonder how the new Versa Turf tires do in the snow? I also wonder if they have better performance in the dirt than the HDAP tires. They definitely look really good.

Super Moderator
I wonder how the new Versa Turf tires do in the snow? I also wonder if they have better performance in the dirt than the HDAP tires. They definitely look really good.
Saw a set at the JD dealer the other day, they definitely look like they might be a good choice as well.

Registered
Discussion Starter #6
That's for that info. Since posting I've been reading other stuff that is 100% in agreement with you. I really thought the R4 would win by a mile... not so !
p.s. - love your actuator video on the snowblower neck ! awesome !!! 馃榿

Super Moderator
The issue with the R4 and even Ag's is the tread is pretty much designed for pushing, I've been stuck on a flat surface with turfs and Ag's without chains trying to back up. The design of the R4 gives you less reward traction than the Ag's do. The staggered pattern and knobby style of the HDAP's with no directional bias seems to do the best in snow, and I haven't gotten stuck on a flat surface with them .....yet! If you have black top or concrete try a set of the "rubber" style Terragrips instead of chains, they get good reviews by those here who have used them.

Registered

From practical experience:

- 2wd GT, Carlisle Multi-Trac C/S turfs, 2-link chains, 54" wide bucket plus 5' back blade, 2250 lb gross weight,

- 4wd SCUT, Carlisle Multi-Trac C/S turfs, 47" bucket and 5' back blade, 2450 lb gross weight.

- 4wd CUT, R4s,. 53" bucket, 2600+ lb gross weight.

The GT is noticeably better in the traction department than either of the larger tractors, even with both cutting edges on the ground. The R4s can best be described as an exercise in extreme frustration.

Turf tires are a friction type tread, relying on the number of square inches, and the number of inches of tread block edge, of ground contact rubber for traction on the hard packed snow that is left when following a blower, blade, or bucket. Other types of tread rely on their ability to penetrate the snow and push it with the lugs for traction. Hard packed snow does not allow penetration.

Note that with sufficient rear end ballast, chains do not scuff concrete or asphalt because the tires don't break traction and spin when pushing reasonable depths of fresh fallen snow. My definition of a reasonable depth is 18" of 'dry' snow.

Registered
A few days late, but I just came in from blowing 6鈥 of very heavy and wet snow with my x748 and must share... i am in love with the new Carlisle Versa Turfs. Excellent in snow, up grade, etc. no slipping in this wet stuff. They clean out better than any others I鈥檝e used minus R1s. I have used multi-trac turfs, r4s, trupower r1, and these. These are superior by far. Only downside is they rub against the 60鈥 7 iron deck when fully raised. Great tilling and for loader work also.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts