My Tractor Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Father Deerest
2,926 Posts
If you are talking about the seals, remove the wheel and using emery clothe and shine the axle for the new seal to slide on. Using a drywall screw drive it in and rip them out, try not to lose any fluid and repeat on the other side. Before re-installing the wheel smear some anti-seize on the axle.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If you are talking about the seals, remove the wheel and using emery clothe and shine the axle for the new seal to slide on. Using a drywall screw drive it in and rip them out, try not to lose any fluid and repeat on the other side. Before re-installing the wheel smear some anti-seize on the axle.
Thank you for the reply. I am interested in removing and replacing the axle bushing, which is what the seal rests on. Maybe it requires a special tool to remove and install.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm not sure about your particular model but some have enough room to drive them in and add new bushing beside it. Is it worn to the point that the seal is leaking?
I appreciate the suggestion. That is definitely clever and thinking outside the box but the bushing has a metal seat behind it so you can't drive it in further.

I did end up getting it out by opening the transaxle case, removing the axle, and putting a similar sized socket behind the bushing and using a 2-lb slide hammer to pull the bushing out. That worked pretty well. The replacement part is supposed to be here tomorrow and I'll put it in.

I damaged the bushing by trying to use the wrong tool to remove the axle seal. I was afraid it would leak so I wanted to replace it while I had the transaxle off the tractor. I feel kinda dumb for damaging the bushing but trying to find the bright side of it, I never had an opportunity to remove one before and had never used a slide hammer. :p

Thanks again everyone. Hope this helps someone else out.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts