My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to replace the rear tires on my '49 8N. The existing tires are tubeless and I am wondering whether or not to add tubes when I replace the tires.

My preference would be not to add the tubes since plugging a leak (Lots of thorns out on the ranch) would be easier than pulling and patching a tube, but I am wondering if there is a compelling reason that I am not thinking of to add the tubes.

Advice/thoughts would be welcome.

·
Retired - Veteran Mod
6,791 Posts
...The existing tires are tubeless...
Really? I've not seen a tubeless rear tractor tire... not for the N's anyway.

I can understand the thorn issue... but...

Personally... I'd go with tube tires (since that's all that I'm aware of for the Ns) and if necessary... "Slime" them...

·
Premium Member
5,674 Posts
I'm with Steve on this, have you considered having the tires foamed and then thorns are not an issue.

·
Registered
5,115 Posts
Foam in tires adds a lot of weight and sure stops the problem with flats but they ride like solid steel wheels. They also seem to have less traction as they don't flex to grab ahold. Least that's what my limited experience with them says.

Mike

·
The voice of reason !
2,720 Posts
Foam in tires adds a lot of weight and sure stops the problem with flats but they ride like solid steel wheels. They also seem to have less traction as they don't flex to grab ahold. Least that's what my limited experience with them says.

Mike
I didn't think adding no flat foam to a tire added that much weight to it, does it really ?

·
Registered
5,115 Posts
I didn't think adding no flat foam to a tire added that much weight to it, does it really ?
I misunderstood. I thought you meant filling them with the ridged foam they use in some fork trucks and backhoes. I'm not familiar with the "flat foam", never used it but have used Slime with good results.

Mike

·
life is good
1,048 Posts
The only problem with putting tubes in a tubeless tire is the ridges inside the tire tend to pinch the tube. This causing flat tires/tubes. Have had this happen more than once. Dad runs tubes in our chore tractor and we go through a tube every 6 months or so.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts