My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is my initial post about my mower deck modifications that I did:

http://www.mytractorforum.com/showthread.php?t=143367

I received the Gator Blades today from FedEx. I had to modify them by making a 5/8" x 3/8" x .200" bushing to fit, cut the overall length by around 1/2" (.25" each side) and then add the (2) holes for the pins. First off let me say the blades are extremely hard and required a lot of resharpening of the drills. I would highly suggest using a drill press and carbide drills if one is willing to go through with the blade modifications. I do not have either and managed to do the modification in about an hour and half.

As you can see from the video (not great) the grass gets thrown from the deck pretty far. If I had to guess I would say around 6 feet! The video is of me cutting wide fescue type grass that typically has a high water content no matter how hot outside.

My initial impressions are great. Both the deck modifications and the blades have greatly improved the way the mower cuts. It is definately louder than the other blades probably because of the high lift design. The deck also seems smoother. I would highly recommend these blades for anyone looking for a better cut.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Thanks for the update. I'm going to have to give your baffle a try as I'm getting tires of having to go back and mow the stripes that get left.

·
Old Iron......Forever
3,139 Posts
Pat yourself on the back! That is going to happen to my 48" at a later time. I'll be using it instead of the 54" deck.

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
Works beautifully!

When I played the video, the growl brought all the family into the dining room to see what was making all that noise.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Next time I cut the grass I will try and get a video from afar that way you can hopefully see the clippings come out from the deck.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts