My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I cannot for the life of me keep a blade shaft from getting torn up on my tube frame deck. I have 6 or 8 different bearing blocks and shafts to choose from and for whatever reason the right most spindle (discharge side) will wear out after maybe (4) hours of mowing. Due the the sheer age of all these original components, I thought of maybe replacing the entire bearing block assembly with a 4-bolt mounted bearing. Does anyone see any draw backs to this?

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
I WOULD TRY TO DIAGNOSE WHAT`S GOING ON THEIR FIRST- you might get the same result. you must be generating heat somehow- it sounds maybe you have a bent shaft-is the dust cap too tight and spinning on the housing?

·
Registered
3,488 Posts
Could all the sheaves be worn so badly that there is some extra tension on the idler sheave being applied to make things turn. I think that your idea is good but you may need to go a little more like with a needle roller bearing or even a 2 rows of the ball bearing type. For some reason you are putting a wicked side load on that one shaft.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hopefully this week(end) I can tear into it once again to see if I can find out. I will keep up on this thread if/when I find the issue.

·
Old Iron......Forever
3,139 Posts
Speaking with complete ignorance, but you say it is the one closest to the shute....could it be that you are using a high lift blade set, or maybe Gators, that might be putting excessive pressure to the side of the shaft from all the grass coming from inboard from the other two blades, and the combination of the three are putting excessive pressure on that shaft? Naw, that isn't likely.....it has to be something mechanical.

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
Do you use sealed bearings or the original open bearings? You might try a set of the sealed bearings and verify they are a good fit to the shaft, not much slop at all. The sets are cheap on eBay.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I am using sealed bearings from NAPA. If needed I can weld the shaft to add material and then turn in a lathe to match the bearing ID perfectly. Hopefully this weekend I can tear it apart.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts