My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ordered the SpeeCo Cat 1 quick hitch from Tractor Supply for my 2305, but I ran into a little puzzle when trying to install it. If I understand correctly, the 3PH lift arms are to be inserted into the channel formed by the left and right uprights, and secured with pins. This makes perfect sense, except for the fact that the lift arm balls won't fit into the channel.

The channel's inside dimension is 1.219" according to my handy dial calipers, and the left arm balls are 1.385" between the "flats".

Am I missing something here? Can the balls be removed, or is there some other trick? Do I need to buy a real, real big hammer?

·
Registered
43 Posts
I wonder if your queries here are because of the proprietary and custom 3PH system JD has (seemingly)?

After much debate - I decided to get the iMatch system AND extra $40 bushing kit for my 2305 JD. There is a proprietary hitch system for the JD's and though it does stink, its part of being Green - thus you must accept the spend.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm not so sure there's any proprietary about the size of the lift arms balls. They appear to be standard Cat 1.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
To answer my own question, it appears that this problem was well-known on the Harbor Freight quick hitch (which may be the same unit as the TSC/SpeeCo). The slots which are supposed to accept the lift arms are simply too narrow. Some people have cut and re-welded one side of the slot to widen it, and other have applied force to bend the slot wide enough to accept the ball. Others have ground a bit off the lift arms balls to make them fit in the too-narrow slot.

I'm not sure I like any of those answers very much. I think I'll call TSC tomorrow and have them explain why they're selling a Cat 0.88 quick hitch as a Cat 1. ;)

·
Registered
131 Posts
To answer my own question, it appears that this problem was well-known on the Harbor Freight quick hitch (which may be the same unit as the TSC/SpeeCo). The slots which are supposed to accept the lift arms are simply too narrow. Some people have cut and re-welded one side of the slot to widen it, and other have applied force to bend the slot wide enough to accept the ball. Others have ground a bit off the lift arms balls to make them fit in the too-narrow slot.

I'm not sure I like any of those answers very much. I think I'll call TSC tomorrow and have them explain why they're selling a Cat 0.88 quick hitch as a Cat 1. ;)
My HF quick hitch fits the 3pt on my 2210 perfectly. Must be a quality control issue with the quick hitch manufacturers.

·
Registered
71 Posts
There was another link on here about the quick hitch you purchased and don't believe anyone had an issue with your particular problem, might want to try exchange that hitch before you toss in the towel on it.

They are a real time saver.

My error guys that was a Harbor Freight hitch being discussed. :banghead3

·
Registered
973 Posts
My HF has worked on 2210 and 2305 and did not bend anything to make it fit on my 3pt

·
Registered
134 Posts
I tried a speedco on mine as well and ran into the same problem. I returned it, as they also carried another brand...topro I think? That one works great!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Here's the hitch in question. This is the right-side lift arm slot, measuring 1.209". The other side measures 1.261". Neither is wide enough to accept a standard Cat 1 lift arm ball.

I spoke with a SpeeCo rep, and they tell me that this is an unusual problem. We'll see -- this one is on its way back to TSC, and I've ordered another unit.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Here's the hitch in question. This is the right-side lift arm slot, measuring 1.209". The other side measures 1.261". Neither is wide enough to accept a standard Cat 1 lift arm ball.

I spoke with a SpeeCo rep, and they tell me that this is an unusual problem. We'll see -- this one is on its way back to TSC, and I've ordered another unit.
I bought the TSC quick hitch and thought I'd save money.. GOt it on the tractor and it wasn't compatible with ANYTHING else I had for the back of the tractor without major mods.. wouldn't even work with the back blade I bought from them.
SO took it back and got the JD iMatch.. and all JD and Frontier implements.

·
Registered
542 Posts
I'm with Bob on this. I have a TSC in my town as well as a JD Dealer. The sales guys, service, & parts guys at the JD dealership are so great, I buy everything I can from them. It's nice when you can just call them, they know you by name, and take care of anything needed. Plus, I feel if I don't support my good local dealer, someday they might not be there. Service means a lot to me and these toys are too expensive to not maintain the best. Like Bob above, I only have I-Match JD attachments for my 2305. If it won't fit an I-match, I don't buy it:thThumbsU

·
W5CPT
190 Posts
Being very interested in this thread as I am considering getting a Quick Hitch. I went out and measured the lift arm balls on my JD2305 and they miked @ 1.369" & 1.373" . I guess I will have to carry my calipers with me when I go shopping.

I have decided where I am going to shop though. At $299.99 @ JD, $229.99 at TSC and $79.99 at HF, the choice is easy. I realize I won't be getting JD quality but I can put up with some machining for $220.

·
JD Green all the way~!
1,312 Posts
I bought the cheapie HF quick hitch for my 650, and it installed just fine. Like others find out, it does not work with their older implements, you have to buy and use the adapter for it.

TSC Speeco = Part Number 14114500 costs around $22.00
HF part number 29309 costs $10.99 + $6.99 s/h <---Back ordered till Sept. 24th.

But reading on line, all these quick hitch's have very low quality control, and many are not made exactly to speck. Many have fitment problems too, just have to try another one if the first one does not fit.

One person made a comment that I find holds true, that all these are made by one company, different colors, and different stickers change the price according to who sells them.

~F~

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well, I sent the defective hitch back to TSC for a refund, and ordered a new one (same SpeeCo Cat 1 unit). The new hitch arrived the other day, and I'm happy to report that this one fits just fine.

I was able to mount the JD ballast box in the quick hitch with no trouble, and best of all, without trying to manhandle 450+ pounds into position.

Thanks to Kevin Greer from SpeeCo for his help.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Good to hear it worked out well. You'll love the quick hitch. Post a pic sometime with it and your Femco folding ropes. I'm thinking of either modifying mine or going with the Femco ones. How do you like them & what do they cost?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts