My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm really close to pulling the trigger and buying a new Husqvarva TS 348XD to replace my aging John Deere LA135SE. Main reading for choosing the 348 was the K66 after having to deal with my old K46 for these past few years.

My Questions:
  1. Does the 348XD have bushings or bearings for the front wheels? (if bushings I'll swap those out ASAP)
  2. How is the Steering mechanism? (I've had to replace the one in my green tractor 3 times now)
  3. How's the mulching kit, should I pop for right right away or run it as is for a while?
  4. Is there a good spinner steering knob for it?
  5. Any other suggestions, accessories, or mods recommended?

·
Super Moderator
35,860 Posts
Welcome to MTF Krcotter! Lots of info here and great members to help and share with, enjoy the site! Here is some site navigation assistance in case you need it:

·
Registered
10 Posts
I own a TS348D which is pretty much the same tractor minus the LED lights and one of the guages and the mulching kit works really good. I bought mine straight away since i like to mulch in the spring when the grass goes to seed. The only suggestions i have are take the carriage bolts and thumb nuts they give you in the package and toss them right in the circular file, they are too short and the thumb nuts will just wiggle right off. Go get some longer 5/16 carriage bolts, washers and lock nuts from the hardware store. I would also highly suggest a set of Gator blades over the stock ones that come with the kit. Oregon does not list one for the TS348 specifically but i was able to get it figured out. My neighbor across the street works for a husky dealer and does service on these, he was able to fit me with a set and they work really well and chop up the grass super fine. The part number i have is 96-615 for the 48" deck.

As far as the wheels go, i'm not sure. I have never looked at mine to find out.

The steering is sector gear style, looks just like the one on my old Craftsman GT and its similar to the one on your old Deere. I am on year 3 and no issues with it, steering still feels really good with no slop and it has a super tight turn radius, my tractror has over 100 hours no it now for refrence. My old Craftsman i never replaced in over 20 years but i did have to change the steering shaft bushings a couple of times. Like the Husky that Craftsman GT was built by AYP so im sure my experience with this will be similar.

Cant comment on the steering knob since i don't have one on mine.

As far as other accessories. I also have the bagger systems for mine. I like it and its similar in every way to my old Craftsman except the chute where it attaches to the deck. Its a bolt on just like the mulching cover and i really dont like it. It makes taking the chute on and off kind of a pain where the rubber strap and hooks my craftsman had were easy. Its so similar i was able to use the hard bags i had on the craftsman instead of the mesh ones that came with it. They fit perfect. Other than that i only other accessories i use a dump wagon and i have the Husky branded front plow attachment for it as well, the heavy duty one that can also grade dirt and it works really well for that as well as pushing snow. I also own a cyclone rake for fall cleanups that i have had for years, this tractor handles it really well. Someday soon i plan to get the bucket scoop for the front, my wife would love that for doing mulch and other tasks around the yard.

I think you will really like the TS348, i am super happy with mine. My father in law had a JD135 and i can tell you that the Husky is a LOT more tractor. the LA135 is a lawnmower, the TS348 is a garden tractor.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks jb882

I learned the front wheels do have BUSHINGS, so that'll be one of my first future projects.
I ordered mine today, should be delivered Thrs.

KC

1 - 5 of 5 Posts