My Tractor Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about Tractors? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Murph
1,922 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think my dealer that I've previously purchased 2 new JDs from but not this X300 (I bought it used) is low balling me. He only offered me $1,200 for my 2007 X300 with 430 hours, the machine is in great condition appearance wise and mechanically with absolutely no problems. I'm thinking of making a counter offer of $1,500 plus he throws in a mulch kit. I have a trailer so no delivery would be needed. If I can't deal I'm going to wait a year or so and sell the X300 myself then find me a used X310.

Just wondering if anybody knows what kind of profit margins the dealers have on new tractors?

·
Registered
53 Posts
I've been looking at used X300 riders for a while now and $1200 is really low. I've seen beat ones with more hours where they're asking for nearly $2000. I don't think dealers get rich off these machines but rather make their living off the high end tractors and farm equipment. Still, it still seems like he's lowballing your trade. You could always try and sell it on Craigslist but that might take awhile and look at all the idiots you'll have to deal with. Don't feel bad though, I've got a 2005 Simplicity Regent and most dealers are only willing to offer $600 -$800.

·
X530, 48 Deck/44 Blower
899 Posts
I can't help you with the profit margin question, but maybe you should try another dealer if you aren't comfortable with how this particular dealer is treating you.

No matter how much business you did in the past, you aren't bound to a dealer you don't trust. Just by talking to a few others, you will learn how bad a deal you have with the first one... and just maybe you might learn it isn't too bad (I don't know the answer).

Whatever you decide, let us know how it turns out! Good luck! :fing32:

I think my dealer that I've previously purchased 2 new JDs from but not this X300 (I bought it used) is low balling me. He only offered me $1,200 for my 2007 X300 with 430 hours, the machine is in great condition appearance wise and mechanically with absolutely no problems. I'm thinking of making a counter offer of $1,500 plus he throws in a mulch kit. I have a trailer so no delivery would be needed. If I can't deal I'm going to wait a year or so and sell the X300 myself then find me a used X310.

Just wondering if anybody knows what kind of profit margins the dealers have on new tractors?

·
Registered
110 Posts

430 hours is high for a 2007 machine and being that it is the X300 $1,200 is about right.

A few prices for ya.

2009 JOHN DEERE X300 MOX300C122672 380hrs US $1,650
2009 JOHN DEERE X300 M0X300C049337 142hrs US $1,995
2010 JOHN DEERE X300 M0X300C157680 26hrs US $2,300

·
Registered
3,953 Posts
you will get less at a dealer as he needs to leave room to make something too.

sell it outright, they are easy sales.

then make a clean deal, always a better way to go!

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
430 hours is high for a 2007 machine and being that it is the X300 $1,200 is about right.

A few prices for ya.

2009 JOHN DEERE X300 MOX300C122672 380hrs US $1,650
2009 JOHN DEERE X300 M0X300C049337 142hrs US $1,995
2010 JOHN DEERE X300 M0X300C157680 26hrs US $2,300
If a JD dealer is like a new car dealer then they have a very small margin of profit on new equipment. Where they make there money is in the used items.
He offered you 1,200.00 for yours and will more then likely put it on the lot for 2,400.00 or more. 430 hrs. that is quite a few for only 5yr old machine. But my question is why are you wanting just to up grade to the x310? I am not up to speed on the newer ones. Just curious as to why jump up to just the x310????

·
Murph
1,922 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
But my question is why are you wanting just to up grade to the x310? I am not up to speed on the newer ones. Just curious as to why jump up to just the x310????
Hydraulics (for my snow blower), power steering (for my wife) K58 rear end.

There is a $500 rebate that expires Feb. 28th. so I'm under the gun.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
The X310 has a K58 Tranny, with hydraulic deck/implement lift, and power steering. It is priced in the lineup between the X304 and the X320. It is in effect an X340 with a 42" deck, and a 18.5 HP engine, priced below an X320.
steve

·
Registered
848 Posts
If possible I would buy the X310 outright and sell the X300 on CL. I have had good luck selling my LT166 and X300 on CL. But if you need the trade in money to put towards the X310 I'd look for another dealer or try to get more out of your current dealer.

·
Super Moderator
17,720 Posts
A 2007 X300 with a 42inch deck In Good-Average Condition is worth $1,040 Low to $1,230 High according to Blue Book. Yes stuff sells Higher On EBay and Craig list But the Blue Book is really there Bible for Outdoor Power equipment dealers When Taking Trades so He really is Being Fair On what he Is offering In excellent condition High it Is worth $1,416. Yes Because It's Used He will make a Nice Profit Because He doesn't Have to Give any to Deere. There Profit Margin in not that Big On New equipment Say He selling a New X720 Just the tractor No attachments or Deck Dealer Profit out of the whole Deal $1,000 Back In 2003 For a X485 with No attachments or Deck a Dealer Made $800 for Just the tractor as You add More attachments the Percentage Goes Up Now for a dealer to Make decent Profit Really On New Machines for Example X300's They Need to Be a High Volume Dealer sell Many To really cover there Costs When He Gives You $1,200 off the Price on Trade No Matter what Mother Deere want's The full Price Of the X310 Going to Them of what the dealer would Pay for consignment Price which is a few $100 Less than MSRP Unless Mother Deere Has a Rebate Offer and If there is Not Rebate The Dealer still has to send at Very least there Consignment Price to Deere so He Gave You $1,200 for You X300 and He sells It for Say $1,800 his Profit Is $800 In reality Because Mother Deere Get's there consignment price Regardless of the Deal the dealer Made. Now Mind You a Dealer Get’s Tractors On consignment for 10 Months if they don't sell them They Have to Pay Deere But It's the consignment Price Not the Public MSRP so There is Some Room to Maneuver so at 430 Hrs He Giving You a Fair Price When Dealing with Dealers You have to Understand It Not a Private Sale like eBay or Craig’s List or a for sale add Which Can Get You the price You think it’s worth:thThumbsU

·
Registered
114 Posts
Just traded my low hour 2006 x300 with blower in for my x748. Initially got a trade in value on an x540 and it was a decent number. When I stepped up to the 7 series, the number almost doubled. Basically, they work off the profit on the new machine and the bigger the upgrade, the bigger the trade value based on the sticker price of new unit. I know the trade value in reality stayed the same. But when they've got more profit to work from, the better it looks on paper. I figure where you're only going up to a 310, they don't bhave a lot of profit to work with in order to give you a better deal. Talk to them about an x500 and I bet that number goes up.

·
Registered
24 Posts
My dealer gave me $1,000 for my '04 L100 when I bought my '12 x300 last month... Just sayin'

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
Customers will usually only bite on a used machine if it's @ half of new price, or maybe just a bit over. So figure in some profit, and there is your offer.

And obviously, it depends on how the deal is made. If working off of list price on the tractor, your trade could be inflated. But, if the price on the new tractor is "right", then the offer on the trade will have to be honest - which sometimes upsets the customer.

Also keep in mind that your five year old X300 has to compete pricewise with NEW D-Series tractors with more HP, bigger decks, full warranty and similar features at what the asking price of your X300 would be. Since JD's sell so well, the original owner is always better off to sell it themselves. When on a dealer lot, the machine has to compete with those new units.

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
Imo I would see what they would offer you on trade in on the x500 . $500 off plus trade in and 0% for a full year.

·
Murph
1,922 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Imo I would see what they would offer you on trade in on the x500 . $500 off plus trade in and 0% for a full year.
Then I don't get the hydraulic lift or power steering plus I just can't justify spending that kind of money on a tractor. For my needs the 310 is really the ideal setup.

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
Then I don't get the hydraulic lift or power steering plus I just can't justify spending that kind of money on a tractor. For my needs the 310 is really the ideal setup.
Your right I totally spaced that out. I would go w / your needs, you shoudn't be to far off then with the $500 off. And o% fin

·
Registered
223 Posts
Just my own 2 cents. Last year I bought a X320 in May. There was no rebate, the only offering was a free cart.I missed the February rebate; they had the same thing last year in the winter. I guess lawn tractors don't sell well then. Only kidding. But here are some other options. Look at the affiliate partnerships JD has. One is the Horseman's association. There is a discount there of 25%. But you have to be a member for 90 days prior to using it.
I went with the 4.9% over 3 years and by the time I was done my payments where $79 a month . But I more than doubled my payments and it will be payed off this year. I also negotiated $200 off the list price. I had no trade.
But at the end of the day I was happy with my purchase. And after using all last year, very happy. Good Luck

1 - 20 of 30 Posts