My Tractor Forum banner

Trying to start the Buttercup... help?

1K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  lovemysan 
#1 ·
Well, I got everything back together. Wasn't sure on the plug gap. Set it to .035". Carb should be all set, per the book. I'm getting spark. And very good compression. Put in some fresh 93 octane, mixed to 16:1. Set the choke, gave it several pulls, but no run. I'm going to try and give it some ether to see if that'll wake it up. Any other thoughts?

#2 ·
Well, I didn't need the ether. I took the plug back out to be sure it was where I set it, and to re-verify spark. I pulled it through 6 or so times, put the plug back in, pulled a couple more times, and it fired. I think the carb could use more work, because it was smoking and a little sputtery. I turnd the mixture screw down as far as it would let me, which improved it. But I still think a little more lean would be better. No more adjustment left, though, it seems.

#4 ·
My buttercup would run, but it would sputter and backfire. I cleaned and adjusted the carb about 20 times, turned out to be frosted, badly adjusted points. After a point gap set and clean, she runs like new.

#8 ·
You know, it would be a smart thing to do what you say and check the points. Thanks for that idea. I had my mind stuck on carb, but the ignition could well be the culprit.

#5 ·
Hmm, the points are new, set to .020". The exhaust port is part of a brand new head, so it's perfect. Muffler is clean, that took a couple hours. Seems like it's way too rich, but there's no more adjustment to lean it down. It's getting steadily worse. Losing power, I bet due to the plug maybe getting fouled.

#6 ·
Could be reed valves that are open too much, or maybe a vacuum leak somewhere.

#9 ·
Yes, air/vacuum leak makes it lean from less vacuum draw from the carb. Less vacuum at the carb, less fuel is sucked in.

#10 ·
I'm gonna give the ignition a good look. As far as the air gap for the coil, I see you're supposed to use a flat tip screwdriver for something. I just set the coil flush to the outside of the wing on the mag plate. Is that correct? I've got another condenser (new) to put in, and I'll check the poits to be sure they're still set where I had them. If I find nothing there and it's still acting up, I gotta think it's the carb. There isn't much to one of those carbs, reall. I know I don't have much play in the throttle shaft, which is good news. And I set the float correctly. But I am encouraged it runs, and has great compression. I'll get it. I learned alot already. Guess I get to learn some more.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.