My Tractor Forum banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Administrator
21,090 Posts
I like to download the old time radio shows/stories/books, etc to my MP3 player. I can then take them with on a car trip and listen to the stories. I'm not one to just listen to music, and AM stations or PBS stations with talk radio shows are not all that prevalent. Helps the miles fly by much faster. Some of the stories, that I have not downloaded yet, are many hours long.

·
My kid @ W.H. gift shop:
7,984 Posts
Always fell a sleep listening to the CBS Radio Mystery Theater or something like that.
I have been trying to recall the show I would hear my stepbrother listen to late at night in the summers I would be visiting. I think thats the one. Had a tune or jingle that would play before it began. Sounded like an elderly guy narrating. Was this one an hour long? was it one episode or two per night, and every night? I can't recall what I heard but it was pretty fun. I had forgotten about it until this thread got posted.

It wasn't long ago (mid 80s) working at an AM station in So Florida that when we had to turn down our signal at night, we would have Radio Castro take over that airwave for the listeners. I don't speak their language but can imagine what they said...and that was all the way up in West Palm.

·
15,000 +posts!
19,930 Posts
That "Mystery Theater" had eerie Oboe music playing during the opening and ending of it..I remember it being just like the old radio shows they had during the 40's with live cast members doing a play on the air..If you could stay awake for the whole show,it was quite entertaining!..

I googled "Chuck Harder",and read about him on the Wikepedia site--all I can say is wow,he certainly went through some changes since I used to listen to him 20 years ago or more!--had his legs paralyzed in a car accident in 2000,lost a few times in his attempts to start his own TV network and radio stations,and has faced many lawsuits..geesh!..

A lot of other things I read about him didn't set well with me--I guess his veiws may have been more extreme than they were at the beginning of his "career"..I remember him telling how he bought an old hotel in Florida,and used it for his "For The People" radio show headquarters..

I really thought he was "for the people"..the way he stood up for the average joe is what got me started listening to him..guess like all the others,he got too contraversial and things went sour..but I agree with many of his observations,he had the guts to speak up when he thought there was injustice done..

I'm not promoting or endorsing his veiws here by any means,dont want any feathers ruffled because I mentioned I used to listen to him years ago!..
Last time I heard his show was in the early 1990's..

Another radio show I enjoyed was "Into The Blue" with Terry Hurd...a Bluegrass hour long special that featured the music and live interviews of bluegrass artists..unfortunately the only station here that carried it was sold after playing country music exclusively for 18 years,and they were a nice small independent station that played ALL the artists,not just the ones Nashville "pushes"--now it's a "urban rap" station!--goes well with the ghetto the town its located in has become, since the country stations demise in 1997.. :(

My other favorite radio show is "Car Talk" with Click and Clack,the Tappet Brothers!--broadcast right up the road from me in "our fair city"--Cambridge MA!..those guys crack me up!..(not sure if they know much about cars though,after hearing some of their answers to callers car trouble questions!)..

Robert

Robert

·
I'd rather be threshing!
3,997 Posts
I like to download the old time radio shows/stories/books, etc to my MP3 player.
Where do you find them Brad?

DYT4000 said:
Always fell a sleep listening to the CBS Radio Mystery Theater or something like that.
WCCO in Minneapolis always played that at 11:00 or Midnight on weeknights. It started with a door creaking sound, footsteps, some erie music, and then the voice of EG Marshall saying "Come in..." There were some darn good voice actors in that series and the hour just flew by! One of those moments in time where you could say "I saw it on the radio" and mean it!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Yes, I would hear the broadcast (probably prerecorded) on Sunday mornings. It was spiritually uplifting and positive without being too preachy, if that makes scene. Usually played soft rock and gave practical advise for young people. It was called "Power Line".

·
Registered
2 Posts
I need to amend my reply slightly. I remembered that it was dark time. Maybe Saturday late at night or earlier in the morning! "Powerline".

21 - 28 of 28 Posts