My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is aggravating me and I just can't think of it.

When I was an older teen (16+) in the mid 80's, there was a radio program that came on one night a week. Where I lived, it played on Sunday nights, and I usually listened to it until I fell asleep.

It was not a Christian music show or on a Christian station (I didn't even know Christian music existed outside of hymnals back then). They played current (or at least recent) popular songs, but only songs that had a positive message (winning, love, friendship) and the host talked in between the songs. It was kind of a predecessor to Delilah or the John Tesh show. I think the host even took calls from teenagers who needed to talk to someone.

I'm fairly confident that the show was syndicated, not local, because it was well-produced and if I recall correctly, the callers were identified by the cities they were calling from.

Anyway, I was trying to think of the name of the show, and it just won't come to me. The only thing that I could dig out of my long-term memory was Rockline, but that was a different show.

Do any of you other 35-45 year olds remember hearing the show? It's not important, but my brain won't let go of it!

Steve

·
I'd rather be threshing!
3,997 Posts
I vaguely remember it as well.

Was it called the Powerline?
I remember that name too Steve, but I never listened to it. I do listen to a lot of radio on the road, but in those days, that subject matter was of little interest to me.

·
Old as Sin
2,187 Posts
if you remember powerline then how about" unshackled " it was a favorite of mine .

silver hair deere

·
Registered
454 Posts

·
Registered
454 Posts

·
15,000 +posts!
19,930 Posts
I remeber the "Powerline" show,and "DR.Demento" too!..now I'll be hearing the "Pencil Necked Geek" song in my head all day!..and "Eat it" by Weird Al Yankavic!..

I used to listen on my shortwave radio to a guy named Chuck Harder ,that had a show called "For The People"..back in the late 80's,he was predicting exactly what has just happened to the USA's economy now,and he warned everyone in the working class to "go buy yourself a used motor home--so you'll at least have a place to shower and a roof over your head,when the "new world order" comes to pass!..he must have been phsycic!..

He always had very interesting guests and topics on his show,dealing with alternative energy,UFO's,and many other interesting subjects..I wonder if he's still on the air?..I think he is,if I remeber right he was broadcastin from a Christian station in Nashville TN,but told his listeners his show as about to go nationwide in sydication on AM radio..

I can remember listening to "Wolfman Jack" throughout my teens and 20's!..but then,I remember watching David Brinkley as the apollo moon landing went down in '69,and Walter Cronkite telling us K+JFK had died when I was 5 years old too!...man,I feel positively AINCIENT now!..

Robert

·
Registered
12,406 Posts
On he road at night Gene "Christmas Story" Shepard kept me awake and laughing... What a story teller. Any "Long John" Nebel fans from way back when... like back when UFO's were still new? Art Bell took up Long John's genre and raised it with more diverse guests.

·
Administrator
11,788 Posts
....I used to listen on my shortwave radio to a guy named Chuck Harder ,that had a show called "For The People"..back in the late 80's,he was predicting exactly what has just happened to the USA's economy now,and he warned everyone in the working class to "go buy yourself a used motor home--so you'll at least have a place to shower and a roof over your head,when the "new world order" comes to pass!..he must have been phsycic!..

He always had very interesting guests and topics on his show,dealing with alternative energy,UFO's,and many other interesting subjects..I wonder if he's still on the air?..I think he is,if I remeber right he was broadcastin from a Christian station in Nashville TN,but told his listeners his show as about to go nationwide in sydication on AM radio....
http://www.chuckhardershow.com/

I think I remember him. I'm thinking it might have been WWCR in Nashville. Seems like he was one of the more moderate (sane) ones compared to some on shortwave. Some of the talk show guys were really out there on the edge in the flag waving, militia, conspiracy theorist type crowd. One I recall specifically ended up getting killed by police.

No doubt the US government was/is still taking notes on some of them.

Whether one agreed with them or not they were rather interesting to listen to at times. Kind of like the thousands of blogs you see on the net today that were only found on the radio back then. They gave pause for thought at times even if it was only wonderment of how they came up with that stuff. :fing32:

·
Premium Member
5,400 Posts
Always fell a sleep listening to the CBS Radio Mystery Theater or something like that.

·
Once was a Super Member
13,692 Posts
The King Biscuit Flower Hour of Power ( also called : King Biscuit Time) or Don Kirshner Radio Hour.

·
15,000 +posts!
19,930 Posts
WBCN in Boston (100.7 FM) still plays the old concert specials on the
"King Bisquit Flour Hour" on Sunday nights !!..heard some very cool live shows there!.they also have Alice Cooper hosting the Saturday night show "live" too...

I remeber Don Kirshner's "Rock Concert" TV show,I think it is still being broadcast on some digital cable TV stations!..as is "Soul Train"...

I remember listening to that "Mystery Theater" on the radio in the late 70's too!--I think it was E.G. Marshall who narrated the series..they dont have shows like that today..

Yeah,Chuck Harder seemed to be a realist,not a wacko right or left winger or "anti-government" type of talk show host like Mike Savage or many of todays political drum beaters..I'll have too look up the link you posted,see if he's on any of our local AM stations,I'd like to listen to his veiws he has today..I bet he's saying "I told you so!".. :)

Robert

·
Administrator
11,788 Posts
....Yeah,Chuck Harder seemed to be a realist,not a wacko right or left winger or "anti-government" type of talk show host like Mike Savage or many of todays political drum beaters..I'll have too look up the link you posted,see if he's on any of our local AM stations,I'd like to listen to his veiws he has today..I bet he's saying "I told you so!".. :)

Robert
Just wanted to note to those that posted here that might have noticed by your email reply notices for the thread..

I thought better of it and decided to edit and pull the website link and name of the guy that ended up killed. They are way too close in my opinion to the mentality of those involved in the bombing of the Oklahoma Federal building. Not the type of people I want to be responsible for their following their website referrer links list back here to the forum. :eek:

That was one of the great things about radio. You could listen but leave no tracks behind to neither the nut cases you were listening to or the authorities that were watching them and pondering the motives of the listeners. Everything on the interenet is logged somewhere for at least temporarily. :fing20:

1 - 20 of 28 Posts