1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4,002 Posts
:fing32:it worked

·
Tractor hoarder/collector
2,456 Posts
hey!!! i had one of them GT16's like that!!!!! it was a cool machine till I twisted the frame!!!

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I found both these tractors in the last 2 wks, and am needing some info on them both. Especially the brn/rust? and silver one. It has the I.D. tag towards the front of the seat and reads as follows: Model 502 257040
Date manufactured 8125
Sears Roebuck and Co. U.S.A.
Simpson Sears LTD Canada Can any of you guys tell me anything about this tractor? It has a 16 H.P. Briggs twin, also an odd 3 pt hitch. (Possibly a power assist?) also what appears to be some type of belt driven device mounted near the transmission. The transmission is similar to the trans on my SS 18, and my SS 12, but doesent have a hi-lo. I just got it a couple of hrs. ago and havent had a chance to look it over yet. The tractor hasn run in MANY years. I'm not sure if I should fix it ou use it for parts? I kinda like the shape of the sheetmetal! Any ideas on the year it was built?? Any help would sure be appreciated. The green tractor I got a week ago, it came with the front blade, and also 55lb wheel weights. Doesnt look very good right now, but It's runnin great. Thanks for any info Guys, Litz

·
2,456 Posts
I think mine was around an 81 model that was like that....ran good i didnt have a deck and i converted into a puller thats how i twisted the frame....It looks like you have part of the electric 3point...Id be willing to buy that if you'd part with it...you dont have all of it by the looks....i wonder if that belt drive thing ur talking about is the box that converts the drive to what the trany needs.....

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thx for the reply searstractorfan. I just got this thing home today so I havent really had a chance to look it over much yet. Not sure about the belt drive thing. I'll get under it in the morning and really check things out. Do you know what type of trans is in this tractor? It's similar to the one in my SS 18, and GT 3000 but it doesn't appear to have a hi-lo range. The Shift lever is also in a different location. More towards the front? I was told that the tractor hadn't been started for years, but it still turns over freely. I dont know weather to fix it, or use it for parts? I kind of like the looks of the old thing. It would look good with a new paint job, seat, etc. But I guess I better see if the engine, and trans is good before I get too carried away!!LOL Any and all comments are welcome. Thx, Litz

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Does anyone have any info on the brown/rust silver tractor? the trans is differrent than the other tractors. No hi-lo range. Looks similar to the others but the shifter comes out of the trans near the front of the trans. I'm trying to decide weather to part the tractor out or repair, and use it? The model # is 502-257040 and the date manufzctured is 8125. (Not sure how to de-code the date #'s) thx, Litz

·
15,000 +posts!
20,567 Posts
I believe anything sold by Sears with a "502" prefix is built by Murray...who made the tranny is debateable,probably Peerless/Tecumseh or Foote ,they made most of them for Murray..

·
2,456 Posts
Im not sure what shift pattern you got...Mine was a 4spd and it came out the front of the trans like your saying and it was a 2300 series Peerless trans... BUT ive also seen a model like that with a 5spd i think it was Foote rear end and man its a light duty model!! BUT i wanna say the 4spd model is the GT series and the light duty one that i saw was an LTseries....Man its been 4 years since I had that old machine!! Id fix it to do what you wanna do...Your not out much if you only use it tow a wagone and such.....

·
Premium Member
5,689 Posts
Your second picture [502 unit] is a Murray. Built on the 125th day of 1978. Don't see many of the ones built for Sears around. Very tough under rated tractor. Wouldn't mind seeing more pics of that bad boy. Late 70's 4 speed should be a Peerless. No hi lo and the Murray, Creeper first that owners rave about though.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts