My Tractor Forum banner
  • We have a new contest celebrating your backyard. Sponsored by Walmart, its your chance to win a $400 gift just in time for the 4th of July! HERE Contest Ends on the 30th.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We've lived in our home for 11 years. The heat pump (3.5 ton - Trane XL 1200) was installed 15 years ago.

We've tried to keep it well maintained over the years. Living close to hay fields, the outside unit probably needs to be washed twice a year instead of once because we get a lot of dust when they are cutting and baling.

We never had to have any repairs done until about 5 years ago. Since then, we've replaced the fan relay on the inside package twice, the capacitor on the outside unit twice, and the compressor once.

Last month was one of the fan relay replacements. The symptom we saw was the pipe from the outside unit to the unit under the house iced over and we were getting no cool air inside.

This month, (last Thursday) we had a weak capacitor (and the outside unit needed to be cleaned again). Our friend who does all our service now noted while he was in there that the 30 Amp AC Contactor was on its last legs (copper contacts were worn nearly through) and that he was going to order one for us. It worked well after the cleaning and cap replacement, but overnight Sunday my wife woke up and it was nearly 80 inside. It was only 75 outside, so she turned off the unit and opened the windows.

This morning, I turned it back on to get the actual symptoms to report to our friend, and it began blowing cold again. I put my pocket thermometer in one of the vents and the air temp was 60-62 degrees and it worked for at least 2 hours before my wife left the house.

Hopefully, our friend will get out to do some troubleshooting this evening, but it's got me curious. Any hints on why the unit might have taken a break overnight?

Lest anyone suspect him, let me point out that our friend does commercial systems for his employer, and he will not let us pay him for what he does, so he's not milking us for the business.

Steve

·
Deceased October 2017
21,767 Posts
Steve .. if that contactor was not replaced yet .. that could be it .. bad contacts will work sometimes ..and then other times they wont .. Might have only be contacting on one leg .

They do sell new contact kits only. Rather then replacing the whole contactor.

But with small ones (30 amps or less) the cost of replacing the whole thing is not that much.

·
Banned
2 Posts
i had one in my old house it drove me nuts always something with it ...I end up replacing the hole darn unit...Sold the house a year later

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Steve .. if that contactor was not replaced yet .. that could be it .. bad contacts will work sometimes ..and then other times they wont .. Might have only be contacting on one leg .

They do sell new contact kits only. Rather then replacing the whole contactor.

But with small ones (30 amps or less) the cost of replacing the whole thing is not that much.
I was wondering about that. Hopefully, he's already gone to get it.

I offered to go by and pick up the contactor for him (trying to trick him into letting me pay for it), but the shop he buys from won't sell to anyone without a license.

i had one in my old house it drove me nuts always something with it ...I end up replacing the hole darn unit...Sold the house a year later
We're putting our house on the market soon, and we're keeping records of what service we do so they can see it, but I'm not going to replace the unit to sell the house. That would just drive the price up anyway.

·
Banned
2 Posts
I was wondering about that. Hopefully, he's already gone to get it.

I offered to go by and pick up the contactor for him (trying to trick him into letting me pay for it), but the shop he buys from won't sell to anyone without a license.

We're putting our house on the market soon, and we're keeping records of what service we do so they can see it, but I'm not going to replace the unit to sell the house. That would just drive the price up anyway.

When they are working they work great ...I had my pump go once that hurt ..Then the darn capacitor a few times .. We had a few other probs as well it was more trouble then it was worth ...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts