My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need help my 10304 will not start! when i first got it it started on first pull ran no problem. i thought the rpm ran a little low so i messed with govenor and i took the carbuetor apart to see if it needed cleaning.oh also at this same time i had the blades sharpenedwill this affect anything with starting!(that was probally a silly question to ask but hey just in case!) well put it all together and nothing i prime it it starts and die!so i cleaned the ports just for the heck. i cant get anything now im am completely confused.any help suggestions will be helpfull!:i_praying

·
Registered
972 Posts
Does it fire back up if you hit the primer while it's dying? May need to adjust the needle some more...

Check out the manuals on the Lawnboy.com site. Should have the lowdown, or someone here with more experience with these mowers.

·
Simplicity Benn
1,574 Posts
sounds like you need to adjust the needle valve... not exatly sure where it is on your carb or what it looks like, i've never owned a V engine, anyways it could be on the bottom of the bowl on the carb or on the top of the carb. if you need to prime it to stay running its running to lean, loosen off the needle valve a half a turn until it stays running, than put it to full throttle, if it bogs down than its running to rich and you need to tighten the valve down until it runs properly.

·
2 stroke enthusiast
6,568 Posts
Make sure the float is in properly if you removed it, and is set to 7/16 of an inch with the bowl gasket removed. Sounds like it's starving for fuel to me.

·
Old engine addict
292 Posts
If the primer works then that means there's fuel in the bowl. Sounds like you need to take the carb apart and blow the jet out with some cleaner and compressed air.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well i tried cleaning and blowing out didnt work. Measured float it was correct at 7/16. Also went to website and downloaded maual and it said the float was fixed it didnt need adjustment.

·
Wile E. Coyote
626 Posts
When you took your carb apart, did you take the screw out from under the sticker on the side? I believe that is the idle screw. It's non adjustable but could be dirty.

Did the float stick anywhere in it's travel when you were cleaning it?

When you put everything together did you preload the governor like it says in the manual and hook the spring up correctly?

On top of the air box there is a metal rod that the throttle slides on. Is anything binding under there or did the rod pull out from the box?

When you had the carb off, did you check the reeds to be sure they are not bent or broken?

All seals look good? No oily residue on anything underneath?

Any kinks in the fuel line? Or dirt in the tank? Does the fuel flow from the tube when you disconnect it?

I'm just throwing some ideas out there for you to check.

Pete

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
When you took your carb apart, did you take the screw out from under the sticker on the side? I believe that is the idle screw. It's non adjustable but could be dirty.

Did the float stick anywhere in it's travel when you were cleaning it?

When you put everything together did you preload the governor like it says in the manual and hook the spring up correctly?

On top of the air box there is a metal rod that the throttle slides on. Is anything binding under there or did the rod pull out from the box?

When you had the carb off, did you check the reeds to be sure they are not bent or broken?

All seals look good? No oily residue on anything underneath?

Any kinks in the fuel line? Or dirt in the tank? Does the fuel flow from the tube when you disconnect it?

I'm just throwing some ideas out there for you to check.

Pete
never saw a sticker on side,float does not stck, I did not preload the govenor im glad you brought this up! i will say that it seems to stick when pushing in to start mulching zone. it just seems weird should i preload it just to see what happens. all seals look good, reeds looked awesome,definenitely no kinks in the line. so should i do the govenor idea?

·
Wile E. Coyote
626 Posts
Yeah. In the manual it states to preload the spring like 2 or 3 turns. What is sticking? The lever on the handle or the slider on the air box?

·
Wile E. Coyote
626 Posts
I believe there is a spring on the rod that will limit how far you can actually push it.

·
Wile E. Coyote
626 Posts
No there is another spring (like inside a ball point retractable pen) on the rod itself, not the governor spring. This will limit how far you can push it, but it should not bind anywhere in it's travel.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well i got it running thanks petr, I reset the govenor put it back together didnt prime it and it fired right up!!! Im so happy:bannana: :bananapow :drunkie: :fest30: :050: :woohoo1: thanks for everyone input this site is awesome!

·
Wile E. Coyote
626 Posts
That's great to hear. I was out of ideas for you to try.

Pete

1 - 20 of 22 Posts