My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,732 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm sure many of you guys have already seen this beauty on E-Bay. In contrast to many of the laughable, proclamations of "rare, hard to find in this condition," this machine is certainly one of few remaining, near-pristine, Kohler powered Pro 16's. At $1800 with three and a half days to go, I'm guessing she'll easily crest $3K and possibly hit $3500. What say ye?? And yes, we do have one of our more famous forum members in the hunt for her right now - but it's gonna take a lot more than $1775 to take this beauty queen home! :fing32::fing32:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/171034169252?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

·
I Love All Color Tractors
22,321 Posts
It certainly is a beauty of a machine and with the low hours too...

I have no idea what it will end up going for, but I've seen the same machine in lesser condition offered at the speculated prices.

Whoever gets this machine is getting a very nice one. :fing32:

·
Registered
7,945 Posts
Luckily, my seating interests (and hills) will keep me from being interested in that unit.

BUT, the price tag sure sparks interest!!

Where will it go!!?? :dunno:

·
Gravely bug bit.
8,733 Posts
Hard to find, in excellent condition, 16hp Gravely Professional 16 Series walk behind, two-wheel tractor with a Kohler M16S twin cylinder engine - direct drive
A real hard to find tractor as Gravely didn't use a Kohler M16S twin. They used an M16S single.

·
Registered
2,031 Posts
I was in the hunt until I was messaging with the seller back and forth. The machine looks nice and all but I think I'll pass. I have 3 Kohler 16's already anyways.

·
Registered
372 Posts
gosh i figured you gravely guys would jump all over me for that lol i have never used a riding gravely but when iwas kid we had a old walk behind and that think would kill you to plow with it so thanks for being nice :sidelaugh:sidelaugh:MTF_wel:

·
Premium Member
2,732 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well I was close..... $2979.00 at the end. The price went up nearly $1000 in the last 15 seconds as the proverbial "shark" swooped in for the kill!! But this machine is one where I could have honestly seen even more $$ being paid to obtain it.

·
Premium Member
2,732 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I was ready to bid to $4K, but, you guys had me convinced it would go MUCH higher!! ;)
Given the absurd end sales prices I have seen some Pro 12's and Pro 16 Vanguard's go for, I am very surprised CAD this baby didn't sell for much more. I would certainly take this Kohler powered tractor over its step-brother any day of the week. It looked as if someone was going to steal it for $2K right up until the end.

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
For some reason, the K16s are not as popular with the general population. Makes no sense to me, as they are the better tractor and super-rare as well. An excellent condition Briggs 16 is still highly valued, but I wouldn't even consider selling either of my K16s. To the contrary, all the Pro 16s I get in (close to 20 now in the last 2 years) are either for sale or already sold. Even my beautiful 330 hour machine got sold, because I never used it. The beat up one or the nice one, I use the **** out of them both. Same thing with my mint 5665. You just can't find tractors like that, so actually, no amount of money is sufficient to replace them.

·
Gravely bug bit.
8,733 Posts
For some reason, the K16s are not as popular with the general population. Makes no sense to me, as they are the better tractor and super-rare as well. An excellent condition Briggs 16 is still highly valued, but I wouldn't even consider selling either of my K16s. To the contrary, all the Pro 16s I get in (close to 20 now in the last 2 years) are either for sale or already sold. Even my beautiful 330 hour machine got sold, because I never used it. The beat up one or the nice one, I use the **** out of them both. Same thing with my mint 5665. You just can't find tractors like that, so actually, no amount of money is sufficient to replace them.
Many people know of the problem with the M16 and the planetary gears. A B&S 16 Vanguard or the later twins did not suffer from that as much. Hence, the difference in value.

·
Premium Member
2,732 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Many people know of the problem with the M16 and the planetary gears. A B&S 16 Vanguard or the later twins did not suffer from that as much. Hence, the difference in value.
But I'm betting a lot of people don't know about that issue Don, or at least didn't know about it when they purchased their Kohler 16. Just exercising some extra care when accelerating/decelerating and changing gear speeds should alleviate a chunk of that problem (though the power/torque curve of that engine clearly indicates the gearing doesn't have it easy).

I still will select the Kohler 16 over the Vanguard 16 without hesitation. Though heavy and fuel inefficient, the Kohler Classics are basically bulletproof - easy to repair and from what other forum members note here, far less finicky than a Vanguard. The Vanguard line represented the last run of the walk-behinds and they look sleeker than the Kohler's - which is probably in part why their netting more $$.

·
Registered
7,945 Posts
Interesting!!

I have a 12HP, and never get above 1/2 throttle, I wonder what attachment other than a multi-blade mower would call for full throttle?? :dunno:

I think the 16HP and gear issue would be more from the "impulse" of the engine than torque.

I would bet the issue would be far less from a twin, or an electric motor.

·
Gravely bug bit.
8,733 Posts
The planetary issue doesn't worry me even a little bit. It's uncommon for my 16 Kohlers to even get past half throttle. And used planetaries are only $100 a set. At that price, figure even if you wear a set out every 3-4 years, it's like a maintenance cost. Not much more than changing oil.
When I run mine, it very seldom is below full throttle. 50" deck and 20X10-10 or 20X9.50-8 tire make that a must. Steering sulky is a must too as mine is moving at 6 MPH instead of the normal 4 MPH in high high.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts