My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lowes has a nice looking 6 cu/ft True Temper Wheelbarrow, the bin is made out of poly, not steel.

I need to replace a 35 year old Sears Wheelbarrow which has a wood frame/handles and a steel bin. Obviously as I am just now replacing it, it was a very durable tool.

I am sure the poly bin will not take the heavy duty work a steel bin can handle, but at least it shouldn't rust.

Any views on the poly wheelbarrow? I will not be moving stones but do plan to move split firewood in the barrow.

·
Registered
7,945 Posts
Why not go with a tractor cart? I bought a barrow, then built a yard cart.

I soon realized the wheelbarrow handles no longer fit my hands!! :dunno:

It was NEVER used again. At the time I was pulling it with a RER. When I got a GT, I thought I died and went to heaven!! :fing32:

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
I bought a second hand poly one about 20 years ago and just this weekend the lip on the front started to split. I'd buy another in a second....Mike

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Been there done that. While I've owned a wheelbarrow longer than lawn, yard, and garden tractors I have always had jobs the the wheelbarrow was best.

I have a large wheel wagon with a handle that coverts to a lawn tractor hitch, a metal tractor cart (about 20 years old itself) and a Street trailer with a 4' by 6' base and I use all of these three behind my tractors. Still, last winter for example, I found many times when the wheel barrow was just what I needed, big enough, no engine to start (dead battery? maybe). By the time I get a tractor out from under cover, or out of the shed and connected to a trailer I have moved a all the firewood I can put on my porch.

One thing that troubles me with the WB choice is the poly bin/tray/bucket.. whatever it is called. I know if I hit the steel tray it will may develop a dent, but will not break/crack. I think the poly can break/crack but I intend to be more careful. The True Temper I purchased this afternoon is 6 cu ft and yet no heavier than the old 4 cu ft steel wheelbarrow I am replacing.

I read a number of complaints on this wheelbarrow about the poly breaking and cracking but that hasn't been my experience with poly, it is breakable but otherwise almost indestructible.

What about the wheelbarrow axel? A few drops of oil each year? This unit came assembled from my local Lowes and it didn't have any owner manual or information. I may ask if they have it.

EDIT: Mike, thanks I was typing when you made your post.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I bought a second hand poly one about 20 years ago and just this weekend the lip on the front started to split. I'd buy another in a second....Mike
I agree with Mike. I bought one many years ago (believe the name is Fort) and I have moved very large rocks, cement, and tons of soil with it. It has got to be over 20 years old and it still looks great. Only issue is a hand grip has finally broken and thats easy to fix. If the bucket ever breaks I will be replacing it with another one. I was skeptical however this thing has proven to be super sturdy and the light weight is definitely an added bonus. If the True Temper is anywhere near as good then you will be making an excellent investment.

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The model I purchased was $70, and has a loop style handle bars, which looks to be an ergonomic improvement over the traditional two "sticks" we have all seen and owned. On looking deeper I see the same looking WB but with different model numbers and they can go over $100, I don't have the prices clearly in mind. I do recall an "Ames" that looks to be the same WB but cost $180 and the model number has the same format as my True Temper less the letters "LW". I believe that stands for Light Weight. The 6 cu ft WB weighs less than 30 pounds. So it is likely the poly tray in the one I purchased isn't built for heavy duty use. I am not a contractor, just a home owner with a lot of property. The good news is it looks like the whee and tire and the frame are the same in all models. Could it be the tray in the pushes the price up $100?

I don't plan to move stones in it, pebbles maybe. Split firewood will be the heavies abrasiveness loads it will see.

·
Registered
4,066 Posts
Ames is the manufacture of True Temper and a half dozen other companies. Many Ames branded products are sold as 'True Temper' for places like Ace Hardware and some box stores.

·
Premium Member
1,307 Posts
Whatever kind of wheelbarrow you buy, a good upgrade is to add a piece of plywood between the tub and the handles. It adds a little weight but stiffens up the system and reinforces the bottom of the tub. My dad did this to his steel tub probably more than 40 years ago and it held up through heavy use for 10-20 years, and light use since then. The one thing I'll add is that he kept it stored indoors. If it had been kept in the rain, the plywood could trap moisture against the tub and cause rust.

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I did a little more web search and see Home Depot has the same WB at the same $69.95 price and a model CP6TC14, where my Lowes unit is CP6TCLW14. Both weight the same, they must be the same, why the different model number I can't figure.. so I looked on the web and found a unit at Wayfair for $247, wow and $179 another place, they are also poly and didn't come up with that model number. But I found these different prices on a price search on the subject wheelbarrow.

Given the Lowes and HD unit weigh the same and differ only in the "LW" designation in the model, I think it safe to assume they are the same. I wonder if Lowes just added the LW to the number to mean something like "Lowes Warehouse" or similar, too bad it also could indicate "Light Weight", which most avoid putting on any tool they sell.

I think it look and handles like a fine WB, and being Poly is much lighter than steel.

The Plywood idea sounds like a good one, but as I plan only to do "soft" load and nothing over maybe 100 pounds it may be unnecessary. Inside storage is a big plus, my 35 YO Sears low-end 4 cu ft rusted through but it had been stored outside for the past 5 to 10 years, don't remember when it got pushed outside. It was when my wife complained she had to move stuff (e.g., the WB) when going into the tool shed to get plant "stuff".

I have read and just wheeling it around, I am 6' 6" and this aggravates, and found one complaint i read, the nose is too low and can easily run aground on unlevel surfaces. In my case I think I can simply raise the handles up too high. I have already considered placing wood, maybe pressure treated 5/4" strips at the wheel axle mounts to raise the WB frame, lower the wheel.

All this for a $70 WB : ) I must have too much time, could my hanging out at bogs be an indication : ? )

1 - 9 of 9 Posts